cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failing backups - status 156

Dinew
Not applicable
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi, my customer's backups are not running, they are failing is error 156. it begins writting the after a while stops. The backups on the C-drive are running perfectly so the D-drive is the only problem and i have picked up that screen shot that was send to me showing errors and staff its shows that the change journal is enabled for the D- drive. So the customer has run backup on one folder at a time and there are few that are not backing up. and he cannot even do snapshot so basically its vmware backups that are not running. Agents were re-installed. Please assist.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have experienced a similar issue recently.
I was backing up my laptop to the demo appliance in our office.
The backup actually finished writing, but then failed right at the end with status 156.

bpfis log showed that my laptop was trying to connect to a previous demo master server.
When I added my laptop to the new demo master, I just added another SERVER entry for it but not changed it to my laptop's master.

So, at the end of the backup, bpfis was trying to connect to the master server to update snapshot info.

Two possible solutions:
1. Check that Client has correct Server entry for Master (not just a server) and that connectivity works in both directions.
2. In Host Properties -> Master -> Client Attributes, add/select client name.
In Windows Open File Backup tab, for Snapshot error control, select Disable snapshot and continue.
The default is Abort...

Hope this helps.

If not, check that bpfis log folder exists on the client and have a look after next failure.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have experienced a similar issue recently.
I was backing up my laptop to the demo appliance in our office.
The backup actually finished writing, but then failed right at the end with status 156.

bpfis log showed that my laptop was trying to connect to a previous demo master server.
When I added my laptop to the new demo master, I just added another SERVER entry for it but not changed it to my laptop's master.

So, at the end of the backup, bpfis was trying to connect to the master server to update snapshot info.

Two possible solutions:
1. Check that Client has correct Server entry for Master (not just a server) and that connectivity works in both directions.
2. In Host Properties -> Master -> Client Attributes, add/select client name.
In Windows Open File Backup tab, for Snapshot error control, select Disable snapshot and continue.
The default is Abort...

Hope this helps.

If not, check that bpfis log folder exists on the client and have a look after next failure.