cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How I can solve the problem by having one driver available?, I send the following message in the Activity Monitor Limit Has Been Reached for requested resource

Paulo_Mendez
Level 5
Partner Accredited

How I can solve the problem by having one drive available in Tape Library?, I send the following message in the Activity Monitor
Limit Has Been Reached for requested resource

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
So you have just 2 tape drives but have still not enabled multiplexing in the storage unit and possibly not in the schedule Until you do that no mote than 2 jobs can run As only one job is running actively to tape yet both drives show active it seems likely you have a tape left in the one drive Go to veritas/volmgr/bin and run robtest.exe Select 1 to connect to the library then s d to show what is in the drives See what they are and which slot they come from The one that is not shown in the console can be moved to a slot using a command similar to m d1 s10 which moves the tape from drive 1 to slot 10 Once done right click on the drive in the console and select Reset Then run an inventory on the library This should get the drive working again Then do the multiplexing settings

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

you don't say what resource.

your storage unit may have a limit of say 2 drives and both drives are in use so the job which is suppose to use that storage unit cannot use a third drive.   so if you have 2 drives and you say multiplex of say 5 concurrent jobs per drive then 10 jobs can run at once the 11th job would queue waiting for one of the two drives to have less then 5 jobs running.

Its all based on what you have setup you storage units for.

you could also be limited by the number of jobs a policy is allowed to run, or by the number of jobs a client is allowed to run.   As your message says resource I am assuming it is a limit on the number of drives and how may jobs per drive set in your storage unit.

Paulo_Mendez
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I am attaching the image with the settings Storage Unit Hcart3
The robotic library has LTO4 Drive and should be of type HCAT, but because we still have  LTO3 tapes and type  Hcart3 in Netbackup

Can you please tell me when to perform additional configuration on the Storage Unit?

or should it be done to level policy?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If you want more jobs to run to these two tape drives tick the "enable multiplexing" box and select a figure (such as 6) in the Maximum Streams per drive section below it.

Next you need to edit the schedules in your policies to set the multiplexing to 6 to match

Also, if any client run more than one stream each then on the Master Servers host properties - General tab, make sure the maximum jobs per client is set to a suitable level to allow them to run multiple jobs.

Using the figure 6 as aoutlined here will allow 6 jobs to run to each tape drive at a time so 12 jobs in total can run

Hope this helps

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

Maximum concurrent write drives is set to 2 - this is what is limiting the jobs from using another tape drive - this storage unit is set to only use 2 drives - so any policy that is using this storage unit - all get grouped together and are only allowed to use 2 tape drives at once ( if you increase to 3 it can use 3 hcart3 tape drives at once)

You can also increase the number of jobs running by enabling Multiplexing - this say how many jobs can run to one tape drive at a time.  So here with 2 drives if you increase the Maximum streams per drive to 5 with just the 2 jobs - you can have 10 jobs running at the same time to the 2 tape drives.

Paulo_Mendez
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Modify values ​​in propertiers Host-> Global Atributtes-> Maximun job Maximun per client and backup copies of 1 to 10, but now I appear queued job and I get the Hcart storage unit 3 in use, but the drive does not have mounted tapes.

Why show that the storage unit is busy, if I have one drive available?

I am attaching pictures to the problem described

Will_Restore
Level 6

means they are both being used.  Sometimes Recorded Media ID does not show in the GUI, not sure why but I've seen that.  You can run command  vmoprcmd  which I find is more accurate.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You seem to have 2 Media Manager Storage Units defined. Do you have more than one media server?

Please show us all you STU's. Run the following from cmd on the master server:

<install-path>\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd\bpstulist -U

as well as resource allocations:

<install-path>\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd\nbrbutil -dump

Post output of these commands.

Sorry - if I look at you server name it seems to be a Solaris machine?
The path to these commands on a Unix server will be /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd

Paulo_Mendez
Level 5
Partner Accredited

commands are executed:

C:/archivos de programas/veritas/volmgr/bin/vmoprcmd
C:/archivos de programas/veritas/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpstulist -U and finally

C:/archivos de programas/veritas/netbackup/bin/admincmd/

The server has the roles of master and media server running Windows 2003x64

How I can guarantee that they are used both drive  when running the backup job?

attaching images associated with commands executed

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
So you have just 2 tape drives but have still not enabled multiplexing in the storage unit and possibly not in the schedule Until you do that no mote than 2 jobs can run As only one job is running actively to tape yet both drives show active it seems likely you have a tape left in the one drive Go to veritas/volmgr/bin and run robtest.exe Select 1 to connect to the library then s d to show what is in the drives See what they are and which slot they come from The one that is not shown in the console can be moved to a slot using a command similar to m d1 s10 which moves the tape from drive 1 to slot 10 Once done right click on the drive in the console and select Reset Then run an inventory on the library This should get the drive working again Then do the multiplexing settings