cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move images from retired server

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Stumper I know you said something out this once before but I cannot find the reference.
Or anybody else who has done this.

I have a server that is being retired and replaced with a new server with a differnt name.

OldserverA
NewserverB

they both do the same thing.  so if I have restore requests for the OldserverA, I would be restoring them to NewserverB.

To make life easiser and so I don't have to remember that before this date I need to look for old server and after this date look for new server.

I would like to put all the images for the old server under the new server name.

is this just a matter of moving the image files?
so that if I go to do a restore for NewserverB I see all the old images as well?
3 REPLIES 3

Stumpr2
Level 6
The name of a VERITAS NetBackup client has been changed and it cannot browse backup images written under the previous name for a restore

This problem can be resolved by simply renaming the old client directory in the NetBackup database to reflect the new client name. It is advisable to create a NetBackup catalog backup before attempting this procedure to minimize the risk of problems. The backup images for each individual client can be found in /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/<client_name>/ on the NetBackup master server.

For example, if the old client name is OLD and the new client name is NEW:

mv /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/OLD  /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/NEW

If backups have already been performed using the new client name, the new directory will already exist. If this is the case, all subdirectories in the old directory need to be recursively copied to the new client directory while maintaining the original file permissions.

Again, for example, if the old client name is OLD and the new client name is NEW:

cp -pR /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/OLD/*  /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/NEW

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Thanks.....

Stumpr2
Level 6
Your welcome. Another trick I have done when there is sometimes a problem with FQDN and short names is to create a link in the images directory from the FQDM to point to the short name.