bkup_sp
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Is there any method Netbackup can permanently delete an image on the tape

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nate_D1
Level 6

This will expire all the media on the tape (be sure you are wiping the right tape!)

bpexpdate -m <media-id> -d 0

Then just select the media in the NBU console, right click it and 'long erase/quick erase' will wipe it for you if its in the drive.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Nate_D1
Level 6

You can make NBU forget about what is on the tape (so it can be overwritten) but you cant erase its contents without the tape in the drive.  Is that what you are asking?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

For total erase of data expire it first using the bpexpdate command and then right click on it and do a full erase - this totally overwrites the tape (needs to be in the library / drive to do this)

Hope this helps

Nate_D1
Level 6

This will expire all the media on the tape (be sure you are wiping the right tape!)

bpexpdate -m <media-id> -d 0

Then just select the media in the NBU console, right click it and 'long erase/quick erase' will wipe it for you if its in the drive.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I almost agree with Mark. Full erase is a scsi command sent to the drive, what the drive does with it is upto the firmware. I heard, from a very good knowledgeable source, that with some drives a full erase is not a full erase. Martin

Nate_D1
Level 6

In that case, I think the best permanent wipe is going to be a degauss or tape destruction :)

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Yes, that would do it - beware at least on LTO tapes not only will it destroy the data but it will also make the tape unusable as it destroys the servo tracks. M

babu_beesetty
Level 4

Provide the Backup ID in bpexpdate command. To expire particular image of a client instaed of expiring entire tape. This will only expire the image and will not delete data from tape.

Path of the Command: /usr/openv/Netbackup/bin/admincmd/

Syntax of the Command: bpexpdate –backupid <imageID> -d 0

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Another new user who never came back to look for answers? indecision