cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving NBU Master Server to Windows Media Server

danhatt
Level 4

Greetings:

I've been reading many articles, forums and the what not and am completely comfused about the ability to move my Unix master server to Windows.

Additional information:

Master Server is running on Solaris 9, NetBackUp version 6.5.  Master Server is also a media server with a tape library attached to it.

Media Server is running on Windows 2008 R2, NetBackUp is version 6.5.

I need to move off Solaris and on to Windows. I do not have a choice, can not keep Solaris nor move to Linux.

I need to have Windows 2008 R2 as a Master Server. I will be adding several additional Windows 2008 R2 servers as staging servers. Importing the tapes one by one is not realistic.

Posts and articles say it can be done but requires third party assistance. Not likely to happen due to budget issues.

My confusion arises is in the Java GUI. In the Master Server Properties, Servers, next to the additional servers is a radio button that is labeled "Make Master." If I can make an existing Media Server the Master Server it would seem that all the information from the original Master Server would migrate to the new Master server.

My reading tells me this is wrong. What does "Make Master" do and what effect does it have on the roles, responsibilities and date held on each server.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
'Slow migration' will require more than just holding onto the Unix master. You will need to remove ALL assigned media from the robot and ensure you have enough new/unassigned media to get started on new Windows server. You will also need at least one tape drive on the old master for restores. This can be a standalone tape drive. You may want to start importing tapes on new master, starting with longest retention levels. Just ensure these tapes are in a non-backup pool such as RESTORE or IMPORT if you should decide to go this route. Please try to 'sell' the idea of a Linux master to the 'powers that be' or ask your local Symantec office and/or reseller for assistance with justification. You may even want to show your management this discussion...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Moving a Master between OS type (eg. Unix to Win) can only be done via a Symantec Partner that offers this service.

This TN confirms this.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31385

Unfortunately, Technical Support cannot carry out this task - they do not have the tools (scripts) available thart are required, + are not allowed to attempt this any other way.

Regards, 

Martin

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

For this you need to speak to your Sales account manager to make you available Symantec Professional Services which deals in such complex scenarios. This is chargaeble , depending upon your environment they would charge you.

Marianne
Level 6

Let me explain 'Make Master':

No big fireworks or migrating catalogs or changing roles.
All it does is to change the order of SERVER entries in NBU config. On Unix, it will make that server name the first entry in bp.conf. Clients will now connect to bprd on that server for restore requests and user backups.
'Make Master' is meant for Clients or media servers that are being migrated to new master servers.
Another example is the NBU Client on my laptop: we have a production NBU backup server in the office as well as a Lab server. I have SERVER entries for both masters on my laptop, but only one can be Master at any given time. I always have to remember to 'Make Master' whenever I want to test/play on the lab server and remember to change it back when I'm done.

Migrating NBU to a different platform is a complex procedure that requires transferring different parts of the NBU catalogs using different methods, specialized merge-tools to perform certain tasks that cannot be done with a catalog backup and restore.

As per TECH31385 (link above in Martin's post) contact your Sales Rep to put you in contact with a Consulting Partner.

Another option would be to migrate from Unix master to Linux master. License fees are the same as for Windows. You can use the method in this TN to migrate Unix master to Linux:
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77448

Hope this helps!

danhatt
Level 4

Marianne:

Thanks for the explaination of "Make Master".

While the Linux solution looks good, I do not make that decision. If we still needed to "move" to a Windows environment, it look to me that we would need to build a whole new backup domain, start back ups from there and hold onto the Unix server until most everything expired. A slow "migration, if you will.

Anyone ever do anything like this? Is it viable? The majority of the backups expire after 3 to 4 months.

Thanks everyone for your input and assistance.

Marianne
Level 6
'Slow migration' will require more than just holding onto the Unix master. You will need to remove ALL assigned media from the robot and ensure you have enough new/unassigned media to get started on new Windows server. You will also need at least one tape drive on the old master for restores. This can be a standalone tape drive. You may want to start importing tapes on new master, starting with longest retention levels. Just ensure these tapes are in a non-backup pool such as RESTORE or IMPORT if you should decide to go this route. Please try to 'sell' the idea of a Linux master to the 'powers that be' or ask your local Symantec office and/or reseller for assistance with justification. You may even want to show your management this discussion...

danhatt
Level 4

Marianne:

Anything involving the expenditure of funds is not going to fly right now. In the long run everything will be Windows based. (However, that is ALWAYS subject to chenge!)

I think I can sell a hybrid based on the information you have provided. That solution would involve creating a Linux server (which is problematic due to the need to have the same name as the existing Unix server) and migrating everything currently existing to it.  Then create a Windows only environment for current and future backups.

The imformation regarding the "slow migration" should give me some breathing room and get more of the tapes into the new environment.

Thanks once more for the information and suggestions. I think I have a good chance of makng the sale. :)

DAN

Harpreet_Singh1
Level 3

Hi,

We are also moving out a small setup of Solaris Master Server with 50 windows clients to Windows 2008 Server.

But here we are doing a Fresh setup on Windows Server and not migrating the Catalog from Unix Server.

During restore the Old archived backups from Solaris Master Server, we will do the Import Phase I and Phase II during the restore.

I am new on Windows Server setup. Please guide me, related to backup / restore / system performance / trouble shooting etc.

With Regards.

Harpreet Singh