Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 7.7 MSDP creation fails login credentials verification failed for server

benegan
Level 3

When creating an MSDP in Netbackup 7.7 i get an error stating:

"Login credentials verification failed for server - Unkown error (-1)"

Both the Master and media server and running 7.7 on Windows Server 2012 R2.

The media server is a brand new build.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this error might be occurring?

Thanks

20 REPLIES 20

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
See: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000011023

sdo

Also see:

https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/unknown-error-while-adding-new-msdp-server

benegan
Level 3

Unfortunately neither of those articles help

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Do it via CLI

Create the storage server using nbdevconfig, then add the credentials using tpconfig. When you're running these commands on the media server, make sure you're able run nbemmcmd -listhosts (and get the output).

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Make sure to run  install_path\Program Files\Veritas\pdde\PDDE_deleteConfig.bat before attempting a new configuration try.

Tech note: Deleting the deduplication storage server configuration

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000068157

Marianne
Level 6

Can you please share all steps that you have followed to prepare and install new media server before configuration attempt?

We have seen over time how a missed step caused MSDP configuration to fail.

Before trying to configure MSDP again, can you add a BasicDisk STU for this media server and run a test backup?
This will test basic comms between master and media server and ensure that media server is functioning correctly as a media server.

Please also confirm that the correct license keys were added to the media server.

benegan
Level 3

Hi Nicolai,

I ran this script but as there was no configuration setup it did not change anything...this is still a fresh build as the wizard errors out before any configuration is done

benegan
Level 3

Hi Riann,

Before attempting to create the storage server via CLI, i ran the nbemmcmd -listhosts first - from the media server.

It produces the error:

Failed to inistialize EMM connectoin. Verify that network access  to the EMM server is available and that the services nbemm and pbx_exchange are running on the EMM server (195)

Cheers

benegan
Level 3

Hi marianne,

The Media Server is running Windows Server 2012 R2.

- I ran the install for NBU 7.7

- I ran the environment pre-checker, this came back all green.

- I then ran the Server Software Installation option

- I chose a typical installation

- After entering in our license key i chose Nebackup Media Server.

- I put in the Master Server name and then ran the install.

- from the Master server i added the new media server into the host properties, i then attempted the MSDP configuration.

How do i check the license and what i am licensed for on this media server?

I was able to create a BasicDisk STU, but when i ran the test backup i got the below error:

Reason: Disk media server is not active, Media server: aunewsrv8c181.anyaccess.net, 
          Robot Type(Number): NONE(N/A), Media ID: N/A, Drive Name: N/A, 
          Volume Pool: NetBackup, Storage Unit: NEW_BD_STU, Drive Scan Host: N/A, 
          Disk Pool: NEW_BD_STU, Disk Volume: Internal_16 

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

Hi,

Ok so your communications between the media and the master is not working. Try the following

run on the media server

bptestbpcd -host "mastername" 

bpclntcmd -hn "mastername" 

bpclntcmd -ip "masterIP"

bpclntcmd -pn

bpclntcmd -self

Make sure all of these works and resolve to correct names.

Then run all of that on the master replacing the master name / ip with the media server name.

Resolve any errors.

Also check that you've placed the media server name in the server list of the master server(host properties) as a "media server" 

Marianne
Level 6

... from the Master server i added the new media server into the host properties

Did you restart NBU on the master server (or NBU Database Manager Service) at this point?

This is a MUST for the master to recognize the new addition.

After restart, check output of this command on the master:
nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose

If you have Capacity license, there is only one license key to add.
If you have host-based licensing, you need Enterprise Server license for the media server as well as the Data Protection Optimization Option license.

Marianne
Level 6

TN to set media server active if NBU restart of the master server did not fix it: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000013417 

nbemmcmd -updatehost -machinename <mediaserver hostname> -machinetype media -machinestateop set_disk_active -masterserver <masterserver hostname>

sdo

@benegan, you can check name resolution of all 'server=' and 'media_server=' name entries in 'bp.conf' (or equivalent on a Windows based NetBackup Server (master, or master/media, or media) using this command:

bptestnetconn -v -a -s

...which, if run on each NetBackup Server (master, or master/media, or media) will show you whether each NetBackup Server is able to actually resolve the names of the 'server=' entries for the NetBackup Server application of the server upon which this command is run.

Marianne
Level 6

@benegan, you have been very quiet... Have you made any progress? 

Have you confirmed comms between master and new media server?

Could you get BasicDisk STU to work?

benegan
Level 3

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply. I ave not been able to restart services or the server yet, due to 3 SLP duplication jobs that are running. They are duplicating data on a very slow link so it is taking some time.

I dont want these jobs to cancel as it will take a long time to get back to this point.

Is there a way to restart the correct services without killing off these SLP jobs?

Cheers

Marianne
Level 6

If I understand correctly - you cannot restart NBU on the master server, right?
SLP duplication/replications running non-stop since we first asked you to restart NBU on the master?
Not good for any kind of RPO/RTO.... but this is a different subject altogether...

You can try without restarting NBU (specifically NBU Database service) but it may not work.
When you add Additional Servers in NBU master server Host Properties, it will also tell you that a restart is needed.

Commands to try in order to bypass restart:

1. nbemmcmd -addhost -machinename <string> -machinetype media -netbackupversion <<level>.<major level>.<minor level>.<hot fix>> -operatingsystem <hpux | linux | rs6000 | sgi | solaris | tru64 | windows> -masterserver <string> 
http://www.veritas.com/docs/000043801 ) 

2. bprdreq -rereadconfig

No guarantees!
Check output of nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose
Please let us know what the status is after trying above commands.

benegan
Level 3

Yes unfortunately the link for this site is very slow and the duplication is an offsite duplication...not a great deal we can do about that.

The output of that command says that the host already exists in the EMM database

Thanks

benegan
Level 3

Hi sdo,

i ran the above command and it confirmed there was a stale record for my media server.

I then ran the recommended command (bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache) and it cleared that issue.

I then attempted to re-create the MSDP.

It successfully added the credentials, but when configuring the MSDP it failed after about 6 or 7 minutes with error: cannot connect on socket (25)

When i look on the media server though it has created the whole folder structure and added a heap of files...so it looks like it was doing something

Thanks

benegan
Level 3

After performing the steps i mentioned in the reply to sdo i have been able to re-create the basicDisk STU and this time it backed up successfully

So im assuming this proves the comms between the master and media are ok

However as mentioned in my post above to sdo i am still having issues with the creation of the MSDP on the media server

Should i be running the MSDP wizard on the master or the media server?

Thanks