Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU DeDuplication Retention and SLP

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi All

I've configured MSDP on NBU 7.1 (WIndows 2K8R2)

MSDP pool on 1TB scsi disk

We have approx 300 GB of Full Data with approx 30 GB increments on daily basis.... and daily retention would be of 10 days & Weekly full would be of 1 month.

Lets say if my first backup got deduped with 50% and got backed up . If retention is applied then it should get expired and disk space should be reclaimed after image expiration (Right or Wrong).????

If image is expired then i believe NBU wouldn't be having anything in index to compare with new data. And idealy after retention when next backup is scheduled it should pick up whole data from scratch (i may be wrong). ??????

If i'm creating SLP Data will be staged in Dedupe for 2 hours or 1 day thereafter will be sent to tape . While writing data to tape "WHAT" data would be sent "Encrypted DeDupe contents " or actual data?????  And while recovering how to plan in case of SLP

2 REPLIES 2

Sebastian_Baszc
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Hey Mate,

I doubt that your data will get 50% at the first run (it depends on the type of data...). Yes, once the data is expired the space should be reclaimed. Don't expect though that it will be done immediately. When you expire the image, the catalog entries in the Dedup DP are being removed and afterwards PureDisk collection processes will remove images from the disk. The database entries will be stored in the PD Database for some time before being removed, so if they are there - your next run should be deduplicated at much higher rate.

The data is rehydrated during duplication to the Tape.

Hope it helps.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi SB

Thanx for knowledge sharing , but i knw data removal process in NBU MSDP. My query was after data is expired (full image is expired according to retention) thereafter on next full schedule WILL IT DEDUPE (ideally it should not as there won't be any index to compare with ).  

Also can u elaborate duplication to tape ...