cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 6.5.6: Saving DR file on a tape.

nbugix
Not applicable

Hi,

I am using NetBackup 6.5.6 i need toknow few things.

- Can I save the DR file on a tape in NetBackup 6.5.6

- If yes How , is thr aany KB on this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I save to disk on the master to the root drive, so if I just lose the drive nb is on I still have it.

I already have the file emailed me ( but read some where there were problems using the emailed file when trying to recovery a unix server - so to be safe I do an extra step.

I also (aix master here)

Use the Parent_end_notify script (because the hot catalog backup does not use the bpend_notify script) to do:

use rdist (you could just use copy but would have to make sure you clean up old files you don't need) to send new items in that dir where I put it to a dir on my other master (the dir has the server name on it so the two files from the two masters don't get mixed).  I do this on both of my masters.

So if I do lose the whole server the file(s) are save on the other master and I can get to it if I have to recover.

So if you can find a way to send it to a different server, you can just add a if statement to the parent_end_notify script to send it to some other server for safe keeping.

This is what I added to the script on my master ( this is my 6.5.5 version)  (the rdist line is where you can put your choice of movement.  That rdist file is set up with the info of what server and directory to send the files to.)  When done it emails me the log file so I know it got moved each day.

if [ $2 = "Hot_Catalog_Backup" ]

then

OUTF=/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/PARENT_END_CALLED.Hot_Catalog_Backup

if [ -s $OUTF ]

then

/bin/rm -rf $OUTF

fi

if [ ! -f $OUTF ]

then

touch $OUTF

fi

echo ${dateStr} "-----------------------------" >> $OUTF

echo ${dateStr} " CLIENT: $1" >> $OUTF

echo ${dateStr} " POLICY: $2" >> $OUTF

echo ${dateStr} " SCHEDULE: $3" >> $OUTF

echo ${dateStr} "SCHEDULE TYPE: $4" >> $OUTF

echo ${dateStr} " STATUS: $5" >> $OUTF

echo ${dateStr} " STREAM: $6" >> $OUTF

/usr/sbin/rdist -f /usr/sysadmin/scripts/Data/Rdist_Dist_Netbackup_DR >> $OUTF

cat $OUTF | mail -s "NetBackup parent end notify for Catalog" someonewhocares@mydomain.com

fi

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

If so I don't think you can & why would you want to? You're using the DR file to aid the restore your NetBackup environment & if it's on tape you're going to have to restore NetBackup to restore your DR file in order to restore NetBackup or have I lost the point again?  crying

***EDIT***

Having said all that & having a quick look around the KBs, it looks like this was an available option in 6.0 - seems like this aspect of the hot catalog backup did not make it thru' to 6.5 (amongst others) ***EDIT of the EDIT! - but that may've just been for the catalog backup itself so forget that!

***end of EDIT***

The Admin Guide already recommends NOT saving to a local drive (i.e. to keep it away from NetBackup essentially), it's only a few KB's in size & it can be e-mailed.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I save to disk on the master to the root drive, so if I just lose the drive nb is on I still have it.

I already have the file emailed me ( but read some where there were problems using the emailed file when trying to recovery a unix server - so to be safe I do an extra step.

I also (aix master here)

Use the Parent_end_notify script (because the hot catalog backup does not use the bpend_notify script) to do:

use rdist (you could just use copy but would have to make sure you clean up old files you don't need) to send new items in that dir where I put it to a dir on my other master (the dir has the server name on it so the two files from the two masters don't get mixed).  I do this on both of my masters.

So if I do lose the whole server the file(s) are save on the other master and I can get to it if I have to recover.

So if you can find a way to send it to a different server, you can just add a if statement to the parent_end_notify script to send it to some other server for safe keeping.

This is what I added to the script on my master ( this is my 6.5.5 version)  (the rdist line is where you can put your choice of movement.  That rdist file is set up with the info of what server and directory to send the files to.)  When done it emails me the log file so I know it got moved each day.

if [ $2 = "Hot_Catalog_Backup" ]

then

OUTF=/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/PARENT_END_CALLED.Hot_Catalog_Backup

if [ -s $OUTF ]

then

/bin/rm -rf $OUTF

fi

if [ ! -f $OUTF ]

then

touch $OUTF

fi

echo ${dateStr} " CLIENT: $1" >> $OUTF

echo ${dateStr} " POLICY: $2" >> $OUTF

echo ${dateStr} " SCHEDULE: $3" >> $OUTF

echo ${dateStr} "SCHEDULE TYPE: $4" >> $OUTF

echo ${dateStr} " STATUS: $5" >> $OUTF

echo ${dateStr} " STREAM: $6" >> $OUTF

/usr/sbin/rdist -f /usr/sysadmin/scripts/Data/Rdist_Dist_Netbackup_DR >> $OUTF

cat $OUTF | mail -s "NetBackup parent end notify for Catalog" someonewhocares@mydomain.com

fi