cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7.1 Problem with hung jobs. (windows clients)

Naota
Level 4

Hello all,

I'm just grasping at straws at this point.  I'm having an unusual issue that is affecting our windows clients only.  

The jobs have multilple streams and only one of the streams is hanging. The other issue i'm faced with is that they are "random" meaning the same server rearely/if never has this problem.  Also, I can cancel the child job and restart it and it works without issue.

it gets all the way to the following steps and just hangs.

begin writing

info bpbkar Backup started

info bpbrm sending the file list to the client

Then it will just sit until I cancel/restart.

If anyone has had similar issues anything helps!

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please share Windows version on clients?

Create bpbkar and bpfis log folders on the client as a starting point...

Please post logs as attachments.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As Marianne says we need more info on this so it could be one of several issue causing it

The most common is that VSS is having an issue on those clients - lack of disk space or anti virus locking the snapshot down

So as well as the logs requested by Marianne please check the clients event logs, disk space, AV and look for any bpfis and bpbkar32 processes running on those clients when no backups are running

Hope this helps

Naota
Level 4

I really don't have a way of capturing the logs because the stalls are random, it's not the same client every day, nor have I noticed any repeat offenders.  I don't see enabling logging on 1,000 clients as being a good idea. :(       

any other ideas? 

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

OK, so you have 1000 clients so I am guessing you have centrally managed Anti Virus which uses policies

If that is the case then push out to all clients exclusions for the following:

<installpath>\veritas\ (and all sub folders if you can do that - if not add the \netbackup\bin\ directory as well)

netbackup\bin\bpbkar32.exe

netbackup\bin\bpfis.exe

netbackup\bin\bpcd.exe

\netbackup\bin\vnetd.exe

See if this imporves things for you

Hope this helps

Naota
Level 4

OK i'll give that a shot, I would have thought there would be exclusions for this but it's a new environment for me so I'll check into it and let you know what comes of it.  Thank you again!

rajeshthink
Level 4

Well even i ad the same issue on WIndows client.. i did following step and the problem was resolved.

a) check the drive on the which NBU client is install

b) delete the file in folder <install_dir>\Netbackup\online_util\fi_cntl

c) i disable WOFB for the client with command

./bpclient -client <client_name> -update -WOFB_enabled 0

or if you get error  no entity was found (227) try below

./bpclient -client <client_name> -add -WOFB_enabled 0

Mostly you can try to disable WOFB and try running the backup it worked for some of the client.