cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup and IBM Storwize V7000 with Flashcopy

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Is NetBackup supported using IBM Flashcopy with a v7000 array?

I can see listed flashcopy support for DS6xxx and DS8xxx and also XIV so I suspect the answer for the v7000 is 'no' ,but when I googled it I did get hits pointing towards a whitepaper on the IBM website on how to achieve this - however, these white papers have now been removed - so again perhaps another reason why the answer is probably 'no'

I was just really looking for a definitive 'no' from anyone on this forum :o)

many thanks

Keir

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The usual consensus is that if it is not in the supported / compatibility lists then it is not supported

That doesnt mean that it won't work but it will mean that it is not supported.

I have gone throug the lists from NBU V6, 6.5 and 7 just to double check and only the 4X, 6x and 8x appear.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

cbode
Level 4
Partner

not sure about official support but the v7000 is basically disk fronted by an internal SVC so if you treat it like SVC you may be fine.

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Thanks very much

I'm not very up on IBM but do agree that the v7000 is essentially an SVC with some disk added, but SVC doesn't appear in the list as supported and the backend disk isn't either the DSxxx or XIV array - so I'm still thinking that perhaps the v7000 isn't supported.

but thanks for the reply - I was beginning to think nobody was prepared to offer any comment. :o)

kind regards

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The usual consensus is that if it is not in the supported / compatibility lists then it is not supported

That doesnt mean that it won't work but it will mean that it is not supported.

I have gone throug the lists from NBU V6, 6.5 and 7 just to double check and only the 4X, 6x and 8x appear.

Hope this helps

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

many thanks mark

I think I'm pretty satisifed that it not supported now (which was the main purpose of the post) - I may try it out of interest, but would be reluctant to suggest it for a production environment as if it does start giving issues we may be in a bit of a tricky situation with trying to get vendor assistance.

Thanks again

K