cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 5.1 64bit Client on RHEL4

sl0ttedpig
Level 2
I am looking to install the 64bit client for RHEL4 on my client along with the Oracle add-on. If Oracle is also 64bit, can someone tell me which binaries I need to install?

I tried to install the client, and it gives me the following options:

OS Level Options
----------------
1. IBMzSeriesLinux2.4
2. RedHat2.4

I used option 2, and it seemed to install except for the following error. I patched it to MP5, but the binaries appear to be 32bit?

+ /bin/cp ./template.names_deny.txt /usr/openv/var/auth/template.names_deny.txt
./cp_to_client: line 649: ./move_libs: Permission denied
+ /bin/cp ./JRE.tar.Z /usr/openv/java/JRE.tar.Z

I then installed the Oracle but again the libobk.so file appears to be 32bit. I'm thinking that rman won't work very well referencing 32bit libraries? I can only find an ia-64 library file, but thinking this isn't the right one?

Can someone let me know where I can find the correct software, as I'm unsure where my problem lies.
5 REPLIES 5

zippy
Level 6
Simon,

Once the libobk.so is installed you have to ask the DBA to relink the database to the Operating system, the Oracle datase has no clue where this new libray is hence RMAN will not work.

/cp_to_client: line 649: ./move_libs: Permission denied

This error happens when a library or binariy is being used or is busy.

Shut the database off install the stuff again and have the DBA relink.

POC?

JD

DavidParker
Level 6
Simon,
Take a look at the Operating System Compatibility Matrix for 5.x, located here: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/263839.htm

It looks like RHELS4 on x64 (as a client) is supported by the regular 32-bit client software.
You should be OK using the 32-bit libraries/binaries.

sl0ttedpig
Level 2
Thanks guys! So, you're saying that the 2.4 client will work O.K, if I shutdown the database first?

So, on to the other piece of my question about 64bit oracle. Do I need the 64bit libraries (libobk.so) in order for rman to work? And where do I get these if I need them, as the 51options seems to be 32bit. Does it matter if the base client is only 32bit?

A uname -a shows the architecture of my system:

Linux x4200poc 2.6.9-42.0.2.ELsmp #1 SMP Thu Aug 17 17:57:31 EDT 2006 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Lastly, is there anything else I need to be aware of from the NBU side to get rman to work?

DavidParker
Level 6
No problem Simon, glad to help.

I think the Oracle agent is only 32-bit as well (not 100% sure on that though).

Last thing on the NBU side to get rman to work: Have you set up a policy of Oracle type and created a User schedule entry?

If you have then I think you're ready to go!

zippy
Level 6
yes the libobk.so will work for 64 bit.

Lastly, is there anything else I need to be aware of from the NBU side to get rman to work?

Just a lot of paciance, I personally dont like RAMAN, its a hassle to manage and takes a long to to backup a database and with databases getting so big these days, what with SAN's and cheap disk space, I'm just glad I work at a place that has SNAPS and BCV's.

JD

Glad to help.