cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.7.1 upgrade with SORT

BackupGuy2015
Level 3

Hello People,

I am planning to upgrade master and media servers to 7.7.1 from 7.6.1.2.  I ran SORT tool on master and media server. The result from SORT are as follows:

Master (showing X red) on this issue:

the total system memory for this computer is 8191 MB. The system memory does not meet the minimum memory requirement of 8192 MB for a master server

this also happen with one of the media servers. Other components came back OK.

Will this becomes an issue during the actual upgrade? (show stopper). or just warning and still can continue..?

Thanks

backupguy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I don't think it will be a show stopper. I was doing a POC recently on a test system with less memory. I made it clear that we can demo functionality, not performance. In a small environment with less than 10 clients and one or two backup devices, you should not run into issues. But use the screenshot of the big red cross as motivation!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6

8GB ram is really not enough for a master server. Bear in mind that the OS is already using quite a lot of that - so, not enough left for NBU.

We have laptops these days with 16GB ram. 
Use the report as motivation to request additonal memory or a new server.

BackupGuy2015
Level 3

Thanks Marianne, but will this be show stopper during the actual upgrade?...such as..upgrade can not continue..blah..blah..click Close.

I will try to request for memory before upgrade but just in case..

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

it is just a warning, it won't be blocking the upgrade.

Review Tuning Guide section for Master Server sizing in  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC7449 - 8GB is enough for some (SMB) environments

Rgds

Michal

BackupGuy2015
Level 3

thanks michal, but it was not warning buf big red X with the word failed...warning would only shows as yellow tirangle with exclamation mark.

Marianne
Level 6
I don't think it will be a show stopper. I was doing a POC recently on a test system with less memory. I made it clear that we can demo functionality, not performance. In a small environment with less than 10 clients and one or two backup devices, you should not run into issues. But use the screenshot of the big red cross as motivation!