cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.7 Java console is a minute just to load login screen

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Wonder why the Netbackup 7.7 Java console is a full minute just to load the login screen on windows 2012.

Have looked at the setconf.bat and the INITIAL_MEMORY and MAX_MEMORY values are already at 256M and 512M which should be more than enough for a test system with 3 policies with a 2 total of 2 clients. The actually use is around 175M (working set) after login and choosing activity mointor.

For comparision a NBConsole loads in less than a minute for a production system with 48 policies and 154 clients amd uses around 90M (working set) after choosing activity mointor.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue
9 REPLIES 9

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Anti virus scanning the jar file ?

Personally seen that before, check Windows event log for scan timeout.

I trust you got name resolution covered :)

Stanleyj
Level 6

I must have missed this if its in the release notes, but is the java console the only way to connect now? 

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Yes.  The MFC based native NetBackup Admin Console for Windows (NBConsole.exe) has bitten the dust  :(   from v7.7 onwards.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Thanks, will check the antivirus setting on test system.

Have tried settting the FORCE_IPADDR_LOOKUP to 0, which didn't make a difference.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Michael, on my test environment (Windows 2012 R2 with NetBackup v7.7), I've noticed that 'setconf.bat' no longer includes the code that writes the 'nbjconf' file.  So, modifying any of the 'SET VAR=VALUE' command lines that we are used to tweaking in 'setconf.bat'... no longer has any effect.   Instead we have to edit the 'nbjconf' file.  But, the file format has changed, and it's now a Unix type Stream-LF file, so now we have to use Wordpad to edit it (and not use Notepad anymore).

So, try editting (but save a copy of the file first) the 'nbjconf' file, and then try your GUI load again.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Thanks, just looked in the nbjconf file, it also contains the MEMORY_INITAL & MAX at 256M & 512M and FORCE_IPADDR_LOOKUP=0.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Digging a little deeper, at least some of the problem seems to be the response time of the disk on my test system, which is between 11 ms and 72 ms.

Will be interesting to see how the Console loads on the first production system we upgrade.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Any update here?

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Yes, just upgraded one of the main prodcution systems with fast disks, here the java console starts more or less at once.