cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup BMR For Oracle Enterprise Linux 5

nickmorris1983
Level 2

Hiya,

Has anyone had any experience of getting Oracle Enterprise Linux 5 x64 working with Netbackup with the BMR option? Our situation is as follows:

We have Oracle Enterprise Linux 5 x64 hosted on Dell Poweredge M610 blades in a RAID 1 configuration. This has NBU 7.1.0.2 installed.

We have a boot server with the same above configuration on a different server but on the same subnet.

Master/Media server is Windows 2003 SP2 with NBU 7.1.0.2

What we want to do for DR purposes is to restore an OEL 5 server onto a fresh blank server using BMR. This has the same hardware but on a different physical server to the original (so memory, disks etc are the same spec as the original).

The first problem we encounter is during the discovery phase of the BMR restore it sees the RAID1 disk configuration on the new server but it has the size as a few MB short to do a straight 1 to 1 mapping. We can resize the boot partition to a few MB smaller and map it and the restore completes. However, upon booting it has a kernel panic. I'll attach the screenshot so you can see this in more details.

So if anyone has any experience of how to do this properly, then it would be much appreciated. If you require any further info from me, then let me know and i'll pass it on. I do have a support call open with Symantec but have had little progress in the last 2 weeks frown

Regards,

Nick

3 REPLIES 3

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
* LVM volume groups and logical volumes are recovered. boot form DVD or do, and check it. * drivers for your RAID card(megaraid_sas, I guess) are included in initrd. Please provide us minor version # of your OEL.

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Hi Nick,

I tried finding this problem symptom but we have never seen this during development or while testing. Also could not find it in any escalation history.

Please can you provide the case number you opened for this problem.

Thanks.

Mandar

nickmorris1983
Level 2

Hiya,

The case numbers for this is 416-502-934 which then turned into  416-700-079. The latest appears to be that because the disk controllers are slightly different between 2 same model servers that it is not possible to do a BMR. BMR for Linux seems a bit pointless in its current form if a slight difference in disk controllers mean you can't use it. Generally when you have had a disaster you get a replacement model from the manufacturer and you can't guarantee what you can get.

The OEL version is "Enterprise Linux Enterprise Linux Server release 5.4 (Carthage)". I'm not a huge Linux guru so i am not sure how to find the minor release of this.

Regards,

Nick