cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Catalog Backup to Disk

backup-botw
Level 6

Anything to take into consideration when backing up the catalog to disk? I am currently running 7.6.0.2 and writing the catalog to tape, but I'd like to write it to disk so I can use AIR to replicate it to my DR site using an SLP. I just want to be sure there isn't anything I am missing or overlooking before cutting it over.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Backing up the catalog to Advanced or MSDP and then replicating it via SLP/AIR need special consideration and additional tasks to recover from. Look for SLP Best Practice guide and TNs on recovery from MSDP and/or Advanced disk. Tape and Basic Disk is easiest for catalog recovery.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

cruisen
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi backup-botw,

I remember a real headache with status code 160 errors.

====> The parent hot catalog backup job is failing with a status 160 when attempting to write the DR file to a share.

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH197828.html

I remember to solve this indeed by stocking all in the parent share folder without going more into subdirectories. It would be like \\server\share and not \\server\share\share\

I hope it helps, but you should test it befor as i am not aware if my errors were related to wrongly designed directory permission.

Good luck,

Cruisen

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Backing up the catalog to Advanced or MSDP and then replicating it via SLP/AIR need special consideration and additional tasks to recover from. Look for SLP Best Practice guide and TNs on recovery from MSDP and/or Advanced disk. Tape and Basic Disk is easiest for catalog recovery.

Hakeem
Level 4

Dear Marianne,

The Catalog size in NetbBackup is now more than 800 GB the retention for full backup is infinite and for incremental two week . What do I need to reduce the size of the current Catalog size on disk.

Thanks

Hakeem

John_Snodgrass
Level 4
Partner Accredited

If the catalog is also duplicated to tape along with the AIR, is the recover still as usual.  That's been my train of thought.  I'll be sure to check out those articles you mentioned as well.

backup-botw
Level 6

That was my thought as well. I was going to do that same setup on my end. Figure you could have the data replicated to a DR site and if you are unable to import that data then resort to tape.

Genericus
   VIP   

I added an IDEA to allow catalog images to be sent via AIR, not the actual data in the backup, just the catalog.

Not sure how it would be implemented.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS