cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup failure with reading file: G:\MTF_BKUP\Friday_HotBackup\DATAFILE\WAF_PROD_11.ORA (WIN32 5: Access is denied. )

Tan_Gaik_Tong
Level 4

-I am doing the  backup transfer from veritas netbackup client to tape. But the backup partial succesfully completed. and with one file is  not backup
due to the error failure reading file: G:\MTF_BKUP\Friday_HotBackup\DATAFILE\WAF_PROD_11.ORA (WIN32 5: Access is denied. ).

Client server is window 2003 server (Service pack 2)

A basic things I already configure:
-*.tmp file is excluded for McAfee Scanning.
-G:\MTF_BKUP\  excluded for McAfee Scanning.
-Veritas Netbackup configuration
the "Customize the cache size"check box is uncheked to let netbackup automatically the best vsp cache file sizes.
-Use VSP (Veritas Volume Snapshot Provided) and with open file backup.
-VSP is enable in veritas netbackup client.
-Intial Cache size -set as 30 % of used space of source volume.
-Maximum Cache size  -set as 95% of freespace of the cache volume.
-In busy file settings: set as 5 seconds for busy file waits and 300 seconds busy time out.

when cancel the backup , peform manually backup again and it complete with succesfully.

regards
Tong

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
If this is a database dump, the data should be static with no need for any snapshop technology.
You need to ensure that the dump is completed by the time NetBackup start it's backup.
I seriously doubt that your backup will be usable if NetBackup backs up the dumpfile while the dump is still in progress.
This is what one of our customers have done with their database dump:
Created user type schedule in policy that allow client initiated backups.
Script runs on the client to perform database backup to disk.
Second last line of script checks if dump was successful
Last line is bpbackup command to backup dump-file to NetBackup.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Anton_Panyushki
Level 6
Certified

It's obviously an Oracle data file and Oracle instance on the client is up and running. There is no use in backing up opened Oracle files.
You have 3 options:
- exclude Oracle files if you don't eant to backup them
- shut down oracle instance on the client prior to backup or you NetBackup agent for Oracle in case you wish to backup oracle.

Using agent is the recommended way to backup Oracle DBs.

Tan_Gaik_Tong
Level 4
thanks for reply .

This happen not only this type of file, but happen to other file type also.

actually this is RMAN backup on particular database. The RMAN database  backup complete with succesfully few days  in RMAN database server.. Only we are done is transfer this RMAN database backup file from (RMAN Server) to the other server(Netbackup Client- call mlyorabk).

The other server is MLYORABK(Is a netbackkup client). The netbackup master server will go to the server(MLYORABK) to transfer to tape.

Take note:RMAN backup is running different time and days with Veritas netbackup transfer the backup to tape.

Also,  How the cache file volume list work and the location?
My default is cache file volume list put on local drive  c. Can i put on E:\

Thanks

Regards
G.T

Anton_Panyushki
Level 6
Certified

Please check if Oracle is using the file above during a file backup.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
verify that oracle is done with the file before you try to back it up to tape.

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified
Try to use VSS instead of VSP.

Marianne
Level 6
The file looks like a database dump to disk. Your error is 'Access is denied'.  This says to me that Netbackup client service is probably running under LocalSystem account. Change logon account to a user name that has read access to all files and folders on the client, preferably the Oracle user account.

Tan_Gaik_Tong
Level 4

Hi,

Thanks for reply. I wish apply the VSS (volume shadow copy) to test this backup again.

How i going to implement a  the vss (Volume  shadow copy) in veritas netbackup 5.1MP4.
where is my vss snpshot file will located if i apply it.

regards

Danny

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified
Under Host properties-->master server-->client attributes
Add the client name and on Windows Open file backup change that to VSS. For a complete guide on how VSS works see Microsoft Technet site http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc785914(WS.10).aspx

Marianne
Level 6
If this is a database dump, the data should be static with no need for any snapshop technology.
You need to ensure that the dump is completed by the time NetBackup start it's backup.
I seriously doubt that your backup will be usable if NetBackup backs up the dumpfile while the dump is still in progress.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

The best way to backup a database backup file is to make it all one script

the script backs it up to disk - leaving you with one file
the script check to make sure it worked when it went to disk
then using bpbackup command you back it up to tape
this way you make sure that the file going to disk is FINISHED - BEFORE you start backing it up to tape.

I have 11 database servers that I do this on.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
I think Marianne is asking the right thing, is this an Oracle dump? if it is disable any snapshot process with this:

bpclient -add -client <client_name>
bpclient -client <client_name> -update -WOFB_FIM <0 for VSP / 1 for VSS>
bpclient -client <client_name> -update -WOFB_enabled <0=WOFB disabled, 1=WOFB_enabled>

Verify WOFB is disabled with:
bpclient -L -client <hostname>

Regards.

Tan_Gaik_Tong
Level 4

Thanks.

But how to add the cache file in volume list.(Is the Temp file create by itself)
Now my configuration is set to the default.
C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\Temp -Client server

I got local hard disk  C, E, F

regards
Danny Tan

Tan_Gaik_Tong
Level 4
I am testing use VSS method. Can i Know where the cache file location ? (If I Implement a VSS method)
I am use a window 2003 server. any idea and opinion.

Marianne
Level 6
Have you seen my post 5 days ago?

If this is a database dump, the data should be static with NO NEED FOR ANY SNAPSHOT TECHNOLOGY

I seriously doubt that your backup will be usable if NetBackup backs up the dumpfile while the dump is still in progress (Even if you manage to snapshot it with VSS).

Tan_Gaik_Tong
Level 4
Hi
Thanks.

any comparision between the vsp and vss.

rjrumfelt
Level 6
Tan,  before anyone is able to fully help you with your problem, you should answer the question previously posed: "Is this an Oracle database dump?"

If so, what time does the dump typically complete?  What time does your backup start?  If the two overlap, then you need to correct this.  Easiest way was stated by several folks previously - use a script to make sure the dump finishes before the backup starts.

As for the comparison between VSP and VSS, someone has already posted a technote from Microsoft regarding VSS, and you should read that since VSS is a Microsoft product.  I found a good technote on VSP that you should read as well: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/314757.htm.

After reading both you should be able to make a decent comparison of the two - but going back to Marianne's earlier post, none of this matters if you are backing up a database dump, especially if you are trying to back it up before the dump is finished.

Marianne
Level 6
I rest my case.....

Tan_Gaik_Tong
Level 4
Hi,
Thanks for the update

It is not oracle Dump file. It is normal RMAN backup. The RMAN backup for that database is complete with succesfully and use script to copy to my client netbackup sever. Affer few days, I will run the backup to transfer the RMAN backup to the tape. Note:The copy scripts is complete when i start to transfer the backup to tape.

Now i am switch my open backup method to vss. i wil continue to monitor the backup.

where is the location to  keep cache file  for vss in my  netbackup client server(MLYORABK server).

regards
Tong

Tan_Gaik_Tong
Level 4
pls kindly let me know the vss cache file locate for window 2003 server client.

regards
Danny Tan