cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup for Oracle 9i and Solaris 9 (Sparc64)

bpolak
Not applicable

Hi,

For one of our customers we are looking for a new backup solution and are considering Symantec Netbackup.

We have 2 Database Servers running Sun Solaris 9 on Sparc64 (2 CPU's each) in a cluster configuration (active/passive) whereby database runs on a shared storage array.

The database is Oracle 9i. 

We also have another Database Server running on Windows XP with Oracle 9i. 

We are considering migrating this to a Windows 7 PC with Oracle 9i installed in virtual Windows XP.

Our purpose is to backup the various databases. We don't require any bare metal restore. 

The backup to take place via the network (we have a dedicated backup LAN) and we intend to install the backup server on Windows 2008 R2 Standard edition. The backup media we are looking at is RDX HDD backup attached to the backup server.

I'm getting very confused as to which licenses we should purchase. If I look at available clients and agents I would think we need:

1 x Netbackup Server (for Win2008)

2 x Oracle Agent (for Solaris)

1 x Oracle Agent (for Win XP/7)

Furthermore I saw in the forum here that the licensing doesn't automatically cover for remote backup and we need to purchase an additional license to have a remote client?

What I get quoted from my suppliers is the following:

SYMC NETBACKUP SERVER 7.0 WIN/LNX/SOLX64 1 SERVER TIER 1 STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S

SYMC NETBACKUP CLIENT APPLICATION AND DATABASE PACK 7.0 UNX 1 SERVER TIER 1 STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S (for the 2 x CPU of Solaris active DB server)

SYMC NETBACKUP CLIENT APPLICATION AND DATABASE PACK 7.0 WIN/LNX/SOLX64 1 SERVER TIER 1 STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S (for Win XP)

SYMC NETBACKUP STANDARD CLIENT 7.0 XPLAT 1 SERVER STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S (for 2 x CPU of Solaris for standby DB server)

This doesn't seem to match the available list of Agents and Clients at all and I'm wondering if this is correct? For instance, there is no mentioning of Oracle in this. 
Another thing is the licensing per CPU - it seems that there is another option which I saw from the forums - to license by disk space. Does anyone have experience with this? will it be more cost-effective? 

Appreciate any help on making me understand whether we are getting the correct set of licenses! 

thanks in advance,
Bianca
2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Before we go into your license requirements - please confirm the Windows version that is/will be used to host the Oracle database:

Neither XP nor Windows 7 is supported with Oracle agent.

Please see the agent compatibility guide:   http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126904

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

As stated by Marianne, the XP Oracle isn't supported. As far as the rest goes you'll need a

1 times SYMC NETBACKUP SERVER 7.0 WIN/LNX/SOLX64 1 SERVER ---- of the correct TIER

TIER 1 = 1CPU

TIER 2 = 2-3 CPUs

TIER 3 = 4-7 CPUs

TIER 4 = >8 CPU's

2 times SYMC NETBACKUP STANDARD CLIENT 7.0 XPLAT 1 SERVER STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S

2 times SYMC NETBACKUP CLIENT APPLICATION AND DATABASE PACK 7.0 UNX 1 SERVER ---- of the correct TIER once again. UNIX tiers are based on the server model, V440, V240, etc. Your partner will have a list of the server models and correct the TIER for them.