cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to install Netbackup Client Software

Zing
Level 3

Hello All,

I'm not able to install Netbackup client s/w, im facing error as "not able to communicate with master server, backups may not properly function", i had provided host entries, and im able instal and configure to different master server for the same clients, could any one help me on this ASAP. And please find the screenshoot of error below.

Master server version / OS-  7.0 / Win2003

Client server:-win 2008instalation error.png

11 REPLIES 11

Will_Restore
Level 6

You can proceed with the installation but have to resolve the network problem before any backups can take place.

You client cannot resolve the name of the provided Master Server.  Verify the spelling and if correct then DNS or local hosts file needs attention.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Check that Windows Firewall is disabled on the client. 

NBU needs port connectivity between server and client in addition to hostname lookup.

Zing
Level 3

Hello All, 

I already installed by proceding with same way but the backup is failing with status 58 and i already eneabled ports 13782 in both inbound and outbound also, could you please suggest us regarding this.

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

Hello Zing,

Like explained above excellent posts

It wld be bcz of

DNS issue,Firewall or port issues.

Try telnet from client to Master server

telnet masterservername 1556
telnet masterservername 13724

also try disabling UAC and (may be a reboot) and try again

http://techontip.wordpress.com/2010/06/02/turn-off-user-account-control-in-windows-2008-r2/

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

hello Zing,

Did u try disabling UAC.

whn u try telnet from client is it successful?

Zing
Level 3

Hi All,

Thanks for your your suggestions,

Actually as per my knowledge if UAC is enabled it will prompt the popup, during instalation of software but i didnt got any popup regarding UAC, and i had local admin rights on the PC, and telnet is succesfull from both master to client and client to master, and i also added the host entries in both master and client also, and if i proceed same with instalation error, after succesfull instalation if i execute "bpclntcmd -pn" im not getting any response in CLI, hope im clear....

Thanks 

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

On the client and master server ensure that the bpcd directory exists under their \netbackup\logs\ directory

Then from the client do a bpclntcmd -sv

On the Master go to Host Properties - Clients and try and connect to the client

Once you have done that take a look at the bpcd logs (or post them on here) as that usually tells us what the issue is (quite often just needing short and FQDN including in the hosts files) but it maybe something else  blocking things

Zing
Level 3

Hello Mark, 

Sure i will provide the information tomorrow.

Thanks

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

i execute "bpclntcmd -pn" im not getting any response in CLI,

so what is the first entry on the server registory key?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\Server

when you run the bpclntcmd -pn command it always looks for the first entry in the server key.

so make sure the first server entry is the master server and it has the proper communication 

and also how about the bptestbpcd -client <clientname> output from the master/media server, if that is fine.. just try with the test backup.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

... but the backup is failing with status 58 

Have you checked that Windows firewall is disabled on the client?

NBU 7.0 uses vnetd (port 13724) for comms. As from 7.0.1, PBX (port 1556) is used.

You should be good if port 13724 is open in both directions.

Next thing to check is forward and reverse lookup. 

On master:
ping <client-name>
bpclntcmd -hn <client-name>
bpclntcmd -ip <client-IP>

On client:
ping <master-name>
bpclntcmd -hn <master-name>
bpclntcmd -ip <master-IP>

Next, test connectivity:

Create bpcd log folder on the client under ...\netbackup\logs

Run bptestbpcd on the master:
bptestbpcd -client 
<client-name> -verbose -debug

Show us output of command as well as bpcd log file on the client.

Tauhid
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

I am facing exactly same problem (not able to communicate with master server, backups may not properly function) as zing said.

My client at DMZ zone (behind the firewall).

I follow your previous procedure.

1. Windows firewall is off.

2.Master & client can ping each other

2.Permit port 13724, 1556, and telnet at firewall at both direction

After that, Same problem exist.

But when I change the Firewall by permit any any (open for all port) then I can install the client without any error.

Now I eed to know what are the ports are exactly needed to permit at firewall to  communicate client and master server?