cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permissions

Guitarnate2000
Level 2
Certified

Ok I know this is fairly simple but I am looking for some validation.

I know all services in NBU can run under local system.

But... what permissions are needed to backup system state and exchange and SQL?

Does the login account have to be in local operators? or does it have to be local admin on the server.

windows environment by the way..

is there a symantec tech note on permissions?

2 REPLIES 2

dami
Level 5
Although not essentially it is generally recommended and is usually less troublesome to always use a local admin account on windoze netbackup servers & clients. This account should always be able to backup system state (shadow copy) etc. SQL may require additional credentials however, according to the configuration of the databases.

Dion
Level 6
Certified

It is probably more important to think about what permissions are required for the restore.  For e.g.

Windows OS:  You will need Administrative privileged to restore System State information.  Usualy the local system account has enough rights unless you have hardened you servers.

SQL: Normally local Administrators are DBA's in SQL but it is good practive to remove this - this will remove the local system account.  An ID with Backup Operators priviliges is required to backup up databases but again you will need to DBA to be able to restore (create/replace databases etc.)

Similar with Exchange - especially if you want to do mailbox-level restores - you will need to check the requirements for this.

Cheers