cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer Server Recovery

Vasu_H
Level 3

Hi,

My Printer server was down and I have the Full backup of the server "C:\, F:\ drive and System State". I can able to recover all the configuration like earlier?

Please help me on this we have the option to recover the configuration. If, yes please give me the steps how to do it. This will help me a lot.

Regards,

Vasu H

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hello,

just make sure server is up and running and then check if the Netbackup is communicating fine or not.. if its fine follow the below tech note

hopefully your client is windows 2003 or 2008

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH56473

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH150156

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RamNagalla

hello,

just make sure server is up and running and then check if the Netbackup is communicating fine or not.. if its fine follow the below tech note

hopefully your client is windows 2003 or 2008

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH56473

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH150156

Vasu_H
Level 3

Hi,

Please any one help me on this.

My PrintServer was down, I need to rebuild newly. Instead of that I have full backup of the server including system state backup.

Is there any option to recover the previous configuration once after installed the OS. If, yes please give me the steps how to do that. It would be great help for me.

Regards,

Vasu H

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Hi Vasu

Check the first  links Nagalla provided. It cover how to restore the backup on a running system to restore it. In your event it will be "fall back to a known working state"

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56473

HOWTO: Use NetBackup to perform a restore for a total and complete recovery of Windows client(s) that include C: (and other system) drive(s), Shadow Copy Component, and/or System_State from a reliable full MS-Windows backup without IDR or BMR in the event of a Disaster (or need to fall back to a known working state). 

Just follow the guide and do EXACTLY what it say - do not skip or leap any steps.

Vasu_H
Level 3

Hi,

Thank you so much to you all.

I am about to follow the below mentioned steps, if any change please let me know. Require validation before hands on.

Then i will update the status if anything seems to be odd.

1. Reinstalling the OS in same physical server (HAL) with disk size similar or more than the existing one.
  2. Configure the Network IP with same earlier IP and installing same version NIC drivers
  3. Reinstall the same version of the NetBackup client for windows
  4. Creating these three logs: bpinetd, bpcd, and tar subfolders if, suppose these folders does not exists.
  5. In the BAR GUI increasing the verbose level.
  6. Stop and restart the NetBackup services in the host machine.
  7. Once after completed all the above steps than performing the restoration from the Remote server (Master Server).
  8. First restoring the folder levels restore with over write option enabled (should not reboot the server).
  9. Will check the restore completed status in tar logs once folder level restore completed.
  10. Then restoring the system state images with over write option enabled (Need to reboot the server).
  11. After reboot successful need to install some MS drivers.

Note: I have a question on this. This is VM machine which I’m reinstalling the OS. So, which option do I need to follow that “Original Hardware option” or “Different Hardware option”?

Regards,

Vasu H

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you are to restore to new VM otherthan iriginal one, it shoyldbe treated as different hardware.

After restarting finally, check network configuration and correct it if it is wrong.

Vasu_H
Level 3

Hi Yasuhisa,

I have created New VM machine in the same ESX host (Already existed). if in these case should I use different hardware right?

One more question that alreay I have mentioned that this is Printer Server. So do i need to install the Printer Server Application before proceeding with the restore?

Also I didn't join this server to Domain it is in workgroup. Should I need to join this server into Domain before proceeding the restore?

Regards,

Vasu H

RamNagalla

hi Vasu,

please see the note from the tech note 

NOTE ABOUT DOMAINS DURING SETUP:
  • If the system was in a specific domain or workgroup, do not join the domain or workgroup at this time.
  • If you are recovering a domain controller, do not perform the domain controller installation process at this time.

Just follow the steps EXACTLY the same as Nicolai suggested...

Vasu_H
Level 3

Hi All,

Thank you so much for support.

Now everything perfect and working fine.

Regards,

Vasu H

RamNagalla

thats great..

please Mark the solution for the post which did help you it will be help full to other who is looking for same issue...