cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace master server with new hardware and new OS

brandonn
Level 4

I'm interested in hearing most from people who have done this, but any information would be great.

Background:

In one of my environments I have NBU 6.5 Master Server on Solaris 9 running on an older SPARC machine. I want to upgrade to NBU 7 which of course is not compatable with Solaris 9. Instead of upgrading Solaris 9 I want to take this oppurtunity to move it over to a Windows server. (Yes, I'm a windows guy)

Question:

What kind of complexities and am I likely to face in this process? Maybe I am thinking this will be more difficult than it actually will be. Can I do a simple catalog restore on my new host? Will I need to keep the hostname the same?

If anyone has done anything similar, please share your experience! Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between UNIX or Linux master servers as part of a hardware refresh 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77448&actp=search&viewlocale=en_U...

Ed_Wilts
Level 6

For Unix to/from Linux, a catalog backup and recovery will work.  However, you asked about doing a Solaris to Windows migration and this process WILL NOT work.

I would recommend that you install 6.5 on a Linux server with the same name, migrate the catalog using the documented procedures, and then upgrade to 7.0.

It is possible to do cross-platform migrations but they are very complicated and it's easy to render your environment unusable.  If you really want to do this, you will need to either become an expert or contract with Symantec Professional Services.

brandonn
Level 4

Perhaps then I should leave the old master server in place for possible restore needs and setup the new server and wait until the backups expire. Though this could take a while. Is it possible to import a tape to the new environment if needed?

Ed_Wilts
Level 6

Leaving the old server around for restores is an excellent option that many people have done.  As long as your old server isn't going end-of-service life, this seems to work well if you don't have very length retentions.  If, say, your maximum retention is 1 year, then by the end of next year you won't have to worry about it.  I don't know about you, but restores from those longer retention tapes are very rare for us.

If you need to import the tape into your new environment, the procedure is straight-forward and documented.  It's not quick though - for a full LTO-3 tape, I've heard that it can take a day to do a full phase 1 and phase 2 import.  This might not be an issue if you have the time to wait for the import to complete or if you have few tapes and excess tape capacity.

Some people also decide that if a critical restore comes through for tapes in the old environment, they can always reconnect the library back to the original server for restores.

You've got a few options and it depends on how big the environment is, how many tapes you have and how long those retentions are, and how bad you want to do a cross-platform migration.