cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replaced library now can't mount old tapes?

Dayv
Level 2
Environment:
Master server is MS Windows Server 2003 R2 SP1 Standard Edition
NetBackup 6.0MP6
Tape Libary is Quantum PX502, with one HP Ultrium 3 drive connected to fibre switch.

Let me start by saying I'm very new to NetBackup and I'm learning as we go along.  I was thrust into this position about 3 weeks ago with absolutely no previous experience with NetBackup (or any tape backup system, for that matter) and things were fine at first.  We recently had a mechanical issue with our tape library and had to replace it.  It was replaced with the exact same model, just a different serial number.  Really not knowing exactly what I was doing, I ended up deleteing the old devices and used the wizard do create a new library, drive, and storage unit.

With plenty of tapes in the libary, I inventoried the robot.  These were previoiusly used tapes, already in their necessary volume pools.  I tried to run a backup.  I kept getting errors that there was no media available for backup, even though there was plenty.  It would not mount the tapes.  We ended up going into Media and Device Management -> Media -> Robots -> TLD(0) and deleting the tapes.  I re-inventoried and let it add them as if they were new tapes and I was able to start backing up.

The problem I have now is restores.  I cannot restore anything from an older tape.  It will not mount the tapes even though they show as being in the robotic library.

What am I missing here?

Here's an example of the status from a failed restore job... (I've removed file names.  Both of the listed media are available in the library)

4/1/2010 6:43:07 PM - begin Restore
4/1/2010 6:43:11 PM - 1 images required
4/1/2010 6:43:11 PM - media 0155L3 required
4/1/2010 6:43:11 PM - media X472L3 required
4/1/2010 6:43:46 PM - restoring image dgfs01_1258244328
4/1/2010 6:43:49 PM - connecting
4/1/2010 6:43:53 PM - Error bptm(pid=5772) NBJM returned an extended error status: resource request failed (800)  
4/1/2010 6:43:51 PM - requesting resource 0155L3
4/1/2010 6:43:51 PM - Error nbjm(pid=2000) NBU status: 800, EMM status: No drives are available   
4/1/2010 6:43:51 PM - Error nbjm(pid=2000) NBU status: 800, EMM status: No drives are available   
4/1/2010 6:43:54 PM - Error bptm(pid=3968) The following files/folders were not restored:      
4/1/2010 6:43:54 PM - Error bptm(pid=3968) UTF - /H/Home/dhelfr/         
4/1/2010 6:43:55 PM - Error bptm(pid=3968) UTF - /H/Home/dhelfr/xxxx.doc        
4/1/2010 6:43:55 PM - connected; connect time: 00:00:06
4/1/2010 6:43:55 PM - Error bptm(pid=3968) UTF - /H/Home/dhelfr/xxxxx.xls        
4/1/2010 6:43:55 PM - Error bptm(pid=3968) UTF - /H/Home/dhelfr/xxxx.doc      
4/1/2010 6:43:55 PM - Error bptm(pid=3968) UTF - /H/Home/dhelfr/xxxxxxxx.doc       
4/1/2010 6:43:55 PM - Error bptm(pid=3968) UTF - /H/Home/dhelfr/xxxxxx.log         
4/1/2010 6:43:55 PM - Error bptm(pid=3968) UTF - /H/Home/dhelfr/xxxxxxx.indb        
4/1/2010 6:43:56 PM - Error bptm(pid=3968) UTF - /H/Home/dhelfr/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.bmp      
4/1/2010 6:43:56 PM - Error bptm(pid=3968) UTF - /H/Home/dhelfr/xxxxxxxxxxxxx.vsd      
4/1/2010 6:43:56 PM - Error bptm(pid=3968) UTF - /H/Home/dhelfr/xxxxxxxxxx.xls       
4/1/2010 6:43:56 PM - Error bptm(pid=3968) more than 10 files were not restored, remaining ones are shown in the progress log.
4/1/2010 6:43:57 PM - restored image dgfs01_1258244328 - (extended error status has been encountered, check logs(252)); restore time 00:00:11
4/1/2010 6:44:00 PM - Warning bprd(pid=4248) Restore must be resumed prior to first image expiration on 11/14/2010 7:18:48 PM
4/1/2010 6:44:02 PM - end Restore; elapsed time: 00:00:55
the restore failed to recover the requested files(5)Environment:
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
NBU status: 800, EMM status: No drives are available
When you re-added the devices, the tape drive was probably configured as a different type/density. For backups and restores to work, the drive and media must be of the same density.

Find media id 0155L3 in the Media GUI and check the density. The label tells me it's probably HCART3. Since the tape is in Assigned state, the density cannot be changed. Next, go to Devices in the GUI and check the density of the tape drive. If it's not the same as the media, the restore will fail. You will need to change the drive density for the duration of the restore.

You will have to check what has happened to new backups since the library change - if all new backups were written with the new density, you will have to remember to change the drive type each time for old restores. Also check density of tapes under Media - you probably have a mix of densities there... As I've said before, density of unassigned tapes can be changed. You will have to make a call based on what you see and decide what density the devices and media should be.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
NBU status: 800, EMM status: No drives are available
When you re-added the devices, the tape drive was probably configured as a different type/density. For backups and restores to work, the drive and media must be of the same density.

Find media id 0155L3 in the Media GUI and check the density. The label tells me it's probably HCART3. Since the tape is in Assigned state, the density cannot be changed. Next, go to Devices in the GUI and check the density of the tape drive. If it's not the same as the media, the restore will fail. You will need to change the drive density for the duration of the restore.

You will have to check what has happened to new backups since the library change - if all new backups were written with the new density, you will have to remember to change the drive type each time for old restores. Also check density of tapes under Media - you probably have a mix of densities there... As I've said before, density of unassigned tapes can be changed. You will have to make a call based on what you see and decide what density the devices and media should be.

Taqadus_Rehman
Level 6
The following are some known causes of a Status 800 and how to correct them.

If the drives are down:
Ensure all the drives in the storage unit are in an "UP" state. If a drive is "DOWN" check the Windows Event Viewer or UNIX system logs (syslogmessages) for any hardware or SCSI errors that indicate why the drive was brought down. To manually put the drive in an "UP" state do the following:
1. Launch the NetBackup Administration Console
2. Go to the Device Monitor
3. Highlight any drives that appear as "DOWN"
4. Select Actions | Up Drive to up the drive

If the storage unit is misconfigured:
If all the drives are in an "UP" state, verify the storage unit is configured correctly. If the density of the storage unit is wrong or if there are no drives available, a Status 800 can occur.
1. Launch the NetBackup Administration Console
2. Go to Storage Units
3. Right-click the storage unit name and select Change
4. Correct any misconfigured settings such as incorrect density or the wrong number of drives
If necessary, delete and recreate the storage unit.

pdsimpson
Level 3
I have seen issues using the HP supplied drivers for Ultrium tape drives on a Windows master / media server.

Using the Symantec -supplied tape drivers seems to fix this (Download from FTP site).

I'd guess that your new hardware installed the default MSFT or HP drivers instead of the Symantec supplied ones, which may have been in use on the old drives.

NOTE: The Symantec drivers do not work on a Win2008 master / media server.

Dayv
Level 2

Marianne,

You hit the nail right on the head.  I cannot thank you enough!  I would have sworn with my dying breath that when I removed the drive and re-added it that it was configured exactly the same, but I obviously missed this.  Even though the drive was NAMED HCART3, it must have been configured to HCART because a lot of my old tapes are specified as such.  I just changed the drive to HCART and was able to restore from an old tape with no problem.  I'll just remember to change it if we need to restore anything from the older tapes.  As they expire, I think I'll delete them and re-add them so they're all designated the same (since they are all exactly the same tapes... all TDK D2406-LTO3, may as well have them all the same in the inventory).  I'll sleep much better knowing my last YEAR'S worth of backups won't be completely useless!

Dayv
Level 2
I want to thank everyone who took the time to respond and share your experience with me.  I'd never even touched a backup utility before being thrust into this position just a little over a month ago.  I'm learing a lot really quickly!