Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore from tape without Netbackup DB

PetrHan
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi all,

Some information about restore images directly from tape are listed in this forum or knowledge base of NTB, see example:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH6501

So, me question if anybody have really experiences with restore images from any tape on platform Windows or Linux on NTB 7.x ? Have you anybody experience with this restore from spanned tapes ?  Do you know anybody any document about support / no support for this .... ?

Many thanks,

Petr

5 REPLIES 5

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

is there any specific reason that you don't want to import tape ?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

This is 'techniaccly' unsupported - it may be used as a last resort, but is NOT garanteed to work.

I've used it successfully on UNix/ Linux, never tried it on Windows.

It will not work on multiplexed tapes.

Martin

PetrHan
Level 4

On question Yogesh ....

is there any specific reason that you don't want to import tape ?  This is request our customer ....

On question mph999 .... I have experience with this on Solaris, but bad experience on Windows ....

Many thanks for all

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I've done it succesfully on Solaris, never managed to get it to work on Windows.

The answer for your customer is that it may not work.  

Try it - it if works you are in luck, if not, then there is nothing that can be done (even by Symantec) - there are not tuning parameters of settings that will change the outcome, it either works, or it doesn't (which is why it is listed as 'unsupported'). 

If the backups are multiplexed, it won't work at all.

Martin

Jeff_Foglietta
Level 5

Hi all,

This is a common excecise in DR scenerios. Customers will sometimes request this task as an alternative to relying on the backup software. At least this has been my experience. It rarely occurs in production scenerios. While it can be a tedious procedure, it is a viable "last resort" for restoring directly from tape. If the required backup spans tape media you will need to run bpmedialist and locate the volumes you require for the restore. This technote should help you.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH6501

Keep in mind that GNU Tar is available for the windows platform..

Regards

Jeff Foglietta