cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutting down services prior to backup on client server

Evan
Level 4
Hey all, I have a general question: I want to backup a server with a ctree database. They suggest shutting down the services on the client server then restarting them after the backup has finished. Is there a way to execute a script via netbackup before the backup starts? Or do I need to schedule it using the windows scheduler on the client server to shutdown the services and then ler netbackup do its thing?

Thanks

Evan
6 REPLIES 6

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I take you are NOT using any kind of agent to backup the database....

you can setup the bpstart_notify and the bpend_notify

you should have a policy just for this one job.....

copy the bpstart_notify to bpstart_notify.policyname  (you are doing this on the client server - if the file is not on the client - get it from your master)

add to it what you need to take down the database

the the policy backup will run

copy the bpend_notify to bpend_notify.policyname

add to it what you need to start the database back up

suggest you do use the email at the end of the bpstart and bpend to email you so you can verify that  the database was stopped and restarted ok.

Evan
Level 4
what folder do I copy the bpstart_notify and the bpend_notify files to on my client? Do I need to specify anything in the policy to make sure it uses those files before initiating a backup of the database?

Thanks for your help!

Evan

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
copy the files to

<installdir>/openv/netbackup/bin   (the dir where all the nb commands are)

once the file is there NB always looks for them befoe starting and ending the jobs.
So once the file is there it will start using it. 
So long as you have it spelled correctly.

if you have the file bpstart_notify - it will use it for every job that runs on that client.....

that is why I suggest you make a policy just for this special backup
then when you name the file bpstart_notify.policyname  it will only use the file for any job that that policy starts on that client.

Luis_M
Level 3
Ok, I have the same case because I have to do a policy that have to shut down some services, i can see that the policy in netbackup will call the script bpstart_notify, but,  how netbackup will know that time will have to call bpend ? How netbackup will know when the backup is ready to call bpend?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
(you should have started a new post)

if you have a bpstart_notify script on the client...
when any job starts on that client it will run the start
then it will run the backup
when the backup finishes
if you have a bpend_notify on the client  it will run that when the backup is all done.

if you have a bpstart_notify.policyname
it will only run it when a job in that policy starts
same with bpend_notify.policyname

if you have a bpstart_notify.policyname.schedulename
it will only run it when a job in that policy running in that schedule starts
same with the bpend_notify.policyname.schedulename

Note on windows clients these files end with a .bat

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
bpstart_notify is called when a bpbkar process STARTS.
bpend_notify is called when a bpbkar process ENDS.

This is also why you have to have those scripts on the client; that's where bpbkars happen.