cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status Code 184 whenever I enable encryption on a policy

Denda
Level 5
Good Afternoon -

I have setup a policy that once a week encrypts and compresses a full backup to tape.  Every job with this policy fails with the following:
Status = tar had an unexpected error
(status 184) . If I take encryption off the policy everything works fine.  The logs that the following doc states to grab to decipher the issue are not doing anything to help me figure it out.  http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/301476.htm

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3

Denda
Level 5
sorry about the YUK in the middle of the post above.. don't know why that is there.  My netbackup version is 6.5.3.1.

Reagan
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified
Try just using client encryption without software compression.

And verify that the media server and clients have the same client encryption version installed.

For Windows Media servers, the latest Symantec Tape drivers are recommended.

NBUTSE
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
  Denda,
You can create the the following logging directories on one of the failing clients:
netbackup/logs/bpcd
netbackup/logs/bpfilter
netbackup/logs/bpbkar

Legacy encryption logs to the bpfilter logging directory.

With those directories created bump up the client side logging, if a UNIX machine, go to the bp.conf and add 'VERBOSE = 5', if it's a Windows client, bring up the Backup Archive and Restore (BAR GUI) tool from the start menu, and then go to File -> NetBackup client properties -> troubleshooting tab.  There set the general logging level at 2 and the verbose at 5.  Click okay, and close the BAR GUI.

Now re-initiate the job.

Investigate the aforementioned logs.

My first suspicion is that an encryption key file may not configured on the client, or the encryption package hasn't been installed on the client.

-Sean