cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Lifecycle Policies help.

NathanNieman
Level 6

Ok  A little back ground.

Already had a IBM 3310 tape Library, and we where staging backups to a Snap Appicance.  The Snap will be replaced by the IBM ProtecTIER VTL.

Built a new 2008 windows server running 7.5.0.5  Everything is running fine etc etc.

after the server was up and running correctly, we put in a IBM ProtecTIER VTL

Built the VTL, and needed a way to get the info off the VTL and to tape for long term storage.

So I built 3 Lifecycle policies

First is a life policy 

First it backups up to the new VTL  "Retention of 1 month"

then runs a duplication to the IBM TS3310 tape library. "Retention of infinity"  We can't delete date due to legal etc etc.

Second is a Monthly

First it backups up the the VTl "Retention is 2 weeks"

Then to tape "retention is 1 year"

Third is Weekly

First backups up to the VTL "retention is 2 weeks"

Then to tape "retention is 1 month"

the VTL retsntion isn't set in stone we are still playing with how much data we can put on this thing, but the tapes are for the most part set in stone.

I have done some test restore and they all run fast but they are coming off the VTL and not the tape.  Which is fine it hasn't been a month so I figured that was going to happen.

My question is am I doing this correct? 

After the info is off the VTL I need to be able to pull the data from tape.  I seen where the replication step has a index that has to be run.  am I missing a set?

any help would be great.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

All sounds fine. Once your copy on VTL expires, the 2nd copy will become primary. All restores will request the tapes instead.

Is that all you need to know?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

All sounds fine. Once your copy on VTL expires, the 2nd copy will become primary. All restores will request the tapes instead.

Is that all you need to know?

NathanNieman
Level 6

that was 100% what I needed to know.

Thank you.