cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape Media Frozen

Anthony_Tsang
Level 3

I hit the problem when using tape drivers come with windows server 2008 R2 and server attached the physical tape drive of IBM LTO4. The media label will not  update when inserted the tape into the tape drive. Therefore, i can view the media label is the previous inserted tape through device monitor.

As an result, netbackup show the incorrect media label and freeze the tape after backup. It caused the tape cannot backup on next time. However, it is not happend on windows server 2003. In windows 2003 i have to install ibm tape driver [ for example IBMTape.x64_6209.zip and IBMTape.x86_6203.zip]

Anyone experience this problem and has a solution ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Have you tried the latest IBM drivers and made sure that your firmware is up to date?

Always best to get the latest drivers from the manufacturer - and also make sure the HBA connecting to it is also using the manufacturers latest drivers too..

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=ssg1S4000784

The IBMTape.x64_w08_6233 set for 2008 were updated just a few days ago by the looks of it

You do need to register to download it

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi,

just try inventory once and make sure all library contents are updated, and check again..

if you still have the issue, we may need to look into barcode rules and media lables.

Anthony_Tsang
Level 3

Hi

However, it does not happen on Virtual tape library(VTL) even the OS is windows 2008 R2 and without inventory 

It only happen on windows 2008 R2 with physical tape drive or library. The workaround solution is bpdown and bpup on media server.  

RamNagalla

yes, you may not see this on VLT becuase thier we dont have tape rotation .. 

but in Physical, ther is always tape rotation which needs to update though Inventory to EMM servers, about the latest contensts of library 

Anthony_Tsang
Level 3

Hi,

But, how to explain it did not happen on windows 2003 server with physical tape driver?

Even i use barcode to recognize the media label in Tape Library model TS2900 (ibm product), this same problem also happened.

RamNagalla

first we need to sort out the current issue with win2008 R2 servers, then we can see what are the things differently happenig with the 2003 servers

did you get chage to do the inventary and test the backups?

Anthony_Tsang
Level 3

The different between the windows 2003 and Windows 2008 R2 are the tape drivers.

In windows 2003 the tape driver are downloaded from ibm

In windows 2008 the tape driver are come with OS

I mentioned in my real case, the tape library model TS2900 have done the inventory before backup. However, the frozen action will happen on it

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Have you tried the latest IBM drivers and made sure that your firmware is up to date?

Always best to get the latest drivers from the manufacturer - and also make sure the HBA connecting to it is also using the manufacturers latest drivers too..

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=ssg1S4000784

The IBMTape.x64_w08_6233 set for 2008 were updated just a few days ago by the looks of it

You do need to register to download it

Hope this helps

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree with Mark - Symantec recommends that manufacturer's drivers be used.

Extract from HCL:

For 64-bit Windows systems, the manufacturer's most recent tape driver should be used.

Sathish_Kumar_R
Level 3
Certified

Please go ahead & update the latest driver version . Also Please update the latest firmware update for the tape Library & Master server too .

Regards,

Sathish