cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape drive naming - netbackup and solaris

gmrivenb
Level 3

I have a strange issue with tape drives, Netbackup 6.5.3.1 and Solaris 9 Media Server.  I noticed in /var/adm/messages that the names for the tape drives are the same as in netbackup but specify an incorrect device number.  The devices (names and /dev/rmt/?) are correct in netbackup and access the correct drive.  I manually checked each drive when trying to troubleshoot.  So the problem is with Solaris and where it gets the names of the drives.  Example below.

In NetBackup the drive named IBM.ULTRIUM-TD2.001 is using the path /dev/rmt/5cbn

but in /var/adm/messages it shows:

"st.conf configuration for IBM.ULTRIUM-TD2.001 (device 3), name [IBM Ultrium Gen 2 LTO]...."

I have proven that /dev/rmt/5 is correct.  Can anyone explain the entry in /var/adm/messages, made me think it should be /dev/rmt/3 which isn't the case.  Thank you for any assistance.

2 REPLIES 2

S_H1
Level 5
Partner

Show the output of following commands.

"/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/scan"

"/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpconfig -d"

"/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmglob -listall -java"

gmrivenb
Level 3

I realized 5 minutes after posting that it was using the index number from NetBackup.  Nothing to do with the OS.  Sorry to waste time.  Thanks for the commands, they may come in handy.