Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to find NetBackup Backup

JosVerhallen
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi,

As i am completely new to Symantec NetBackup i will try to explain to my best effort.

One of our customers uses Symantec NetBackup 6.5.4 and they are we are having trouble restoring simple file data.
NetBackup is running on a Sun Solaris 10 machine and backs up a Windows 2003 Fileserver to a staging disk. After that the data gets duplicated to tape. the policy for this backup job is set for daily incremental and weekly full, however if i connect to the Windows Client and open te backup and restore client, the sessions which have ran in the past are not visible for restore. Even if i do a manual backup of this client, i can not find the same session in the "Restore from" pane in the backup and restore client.

What do i need to do to be able to restore files from this machine?

kind regards,

Jos Verhallen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

In the BAR GUI on the client, go to File -> NetBackup Client Properties.

Double check the Client name in the top field (case, shortname vs FQDN, etc).

This the Client name that is sent to the master server to request backup images.

The name that is stored in the image catalog on the master server is the name in the Clients tab of the backup policy. 
If the backup policy has client1 as Client name, but the name in the Client Properties on the Client is CLIENT1, or Client1 or client.fqdn, etc, then no backup images will be found on the master server.

NBU is case sensitive and hostnames must match EXACTLY.

PS: Your customer needs to upgrade NBU - version 6.x reached EOSL about a year ago.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

In the BAR GUI on the client, go to File -> NetBackup Client Properties.

Double check the Client name in the top field (case, shortname vs FQDN, etc).

This the Client name that is sent to the master server to request backup images.

The name that is stored in the image catalog on the master server is the name in the Clients tab of the backup policy. 
If the backup policy has client1 as Client name, but the name in the Client Properties on the Client is CLIENT1, or Client1 or client.fqdn, etc, then no backup images will be found on the master server.

NBU is case sensitive and hostnames must match EXACTLY.

PS: Your customer needs to upgrade NBU - version 6.x reached EOSL about a year ago.

JosVerhallen
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thank you for this awnser. It was indeed that the client was being backed up in FQDN and the client was only showing the hostname.