cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading Netbackup 7.1 to 7.6.1 database fails upgrade

npolite
Level 5

Hi All,

I'm trying to upgrade form Netbackup 7.1.0.4 to 7.6.1 and hit a problem when it was trying to convert/upgrade the datbase in the installer.

I searched the forums for this issue and all I found was to run a file system check which I did but I haven't attempted another try because EMM is not starting. I will attach the logs for the NBDB update. Any help would be apprecaited.

Thanks,
Nick

7 REPLIES 7

npolite
Level 5

Also note I tried posting this from our company account but was unable to find the post so I appoligize if this is a duplicate post.

Nick

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I hope that you have logged a Sev 1 Support call by now? I can see that the upgrade process is having a problem with shortname vs FQDN in NBU config but no idea how this came about, how this has worked previously or how to fix it. Best that a Support person help you.

munday
Level 3
Partner Certified

Hi npolite

Befor you start upgrade.

Are you backup the database or everythink for rollback.

And I found this "move_dbspaces: Error copying C:\Program Files\Veritas\\NetBackupDB\data\EMM_DATA.db to C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackupDB\staging\EMM_DATA.db, errno=13"

I not sure this is the root cause of your problem.

npolite
Level 5

Thanks for the replies. I do have the DR backup recover file as well as the catalog backups so I can recover. I have a feeling (although not sure) the problem is somehow related to after we removed ADS from this server. Something odd happened and the Administrator user folder was changed from Administrator to Administrator.HWADS02. I just don't know if some internals were changed to cause Netbackup to go all wonky related to the upgrade. 7.1.0.4 was going well and had to restore clients a few times since we took ADS out 3 years ago.

I'm going to open a ticket with Symantec today on it and let everyone know what they find.

Thanks,
Nick

npolite
Level 5

Update:

I had to uninstall 7.1.0.4, re-install it again and reload the catalog. Once I did that I upgraded to 7.6.1 and then 7.6.1.2. Everything is working now as expected and I not only had a great test with the catalog restore, but I can move forward with retiring this server with Win 2003 and upgrade to a newer server with Win 2012.

Thanks for assistance.

Nick

npolite
Level 5

One more question I do have is with the Catalog backups. Do I need to load up the last full backup and then the incrementals or if I select the last incremental, will it get the others as well as the last backup?

Thanks

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Its always good to have a Full backup after any upgrade and start the incrementals from there. It keeps things tidy.