cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM Backup Saved is Not in .vmdk Format

PGC_SysAd
Level 3

Hi,

I got two sites with NetBackup 7.5 Servers, at the first site, my storage is a tape robot, at the second are RAID'ed disks. Im primarily backing up VMs at both sites.

I have no issues at the first site during restorations since all the backed up VMs are in a single file .vmdk format, such that when I want to restore something, I'm presented with the "Virtual Machine Restoration" menu wherein you can choose the destination ESX host, the desired SAN, etc.

Now my problem is with the second site, wherein all my backed up VMs seems to give me this entire directory tree structure (not the single .vmdk file like that of the first site) during restorations. And what's worse is that it presents me the normal "Restore Marked Files" menu rather than the "Virtual Machine Restoration".

I use "Flashbackup-Windows" mode with BLIB enabled for both sites. 

Could it be that using disks rather than tape is the cause? If yes, is there a workaround?

Thanks a lot in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

After you have got to the point of seeing the files on the 2nd site just keep that window open but as i said earlier you then need to select from the top menu line in the console Actions - Select Restore Type - Restore From Virtual Machine Backup

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

sksujeet
Level 6

You mean in the BAR you have selected "Flashbackup-Windows" and "Restore from virtual machine backup"? If you don't select the option "restore from virtual machine backup" by default it will show you as "restore from normal backup" and you will see the normal files and folders.

EDIT*:In my environment it goes to OST first and then to tape but shows fine for both of them.

Make sure the check mark in "select for restore" in BAR is correctly selected.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Just to clarify the above ... when you have the BAR GUI open showing the files and folders tree rather than the vmdk files ... all you need to do in the GUI is to select Actions - Select Restore Type - Restore From Virtual Machine Backup

Hope this helps

PGC_SysAd
Level 3

Hi Mark/Sazz,

Yes, at BAR, I tried:

- Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type>Policy type for restores>FlashBackup-Windows

and

- Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type>Policy type for restores>VMWare

I got the file tree for both... 

I get .vmdk files for both FlashBackup-Windows and VMWare options at my 1st site. 

I only encounter this issue on my 2nd site :(

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

After you have got to the point of seeing the files on the 2nd site just keep that window open but as i said earlier you then need to select from the top menu line in the console Actions - Select Restore Type - Restore From Virtual Machine Backup

PGC_SysAd
Level 3

Hi Mark,

Ah yes that "Actions" tab above solved my problem!

Thanks a lot!!!

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Great - as they say ...  a picture is worth a thousand words!