cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between a Volume Pool and Media Pool?

Genesisclimber
Level 3
Hi

I like to get some clarification on terminologies being used, especially on the differences between a Media Pool and Volume Pool?

My search have yielded the following:-

Term
Description
Volume Any individual bit of media - tape, optical disk, etc.
Volume Pool A logical grouping of volumes to be used for a specific application. For instance, Oracle backs up to a certain pool, the OS to a different pool, and product code to a third pool.
Volume Group A logical grouping of volumes based on physical location. Whereas the pool is used for actual data, the group is used for administrative work. If you wanted to move all the volumes from one robot to another, you can either move the volumes one at a time or, if they're all in the same group, move the group.

So if volume is an Individual bit of media, then would a volume pool effectively be a media pool? Are these two used interchangably or is my previous conclusion is wrong?
I had also noticed that in the Admin Guide Volume 1, there was a mention (although only once throughout the document) of media pool. This leads me to believe that there could be another meaning to it. I've extracted the statement below for reference:-

To ensure that catalog backup images are not on the same tapes as user backups, create a separate media pool for catalog archives.

If Volume pool definition is the same as above, is Media Pool simply a collection of the physical media in the Tape Library?

The more I read, the more confuse I get.... crying
Advance thanks for any clarification provided.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Genesisclimber
Level 3

No replies frown

Anyway, after looking and asking around from various people, this is what I've concluded:-

1. Volume = Media i.e. tape media
2. Volume pool - Media pool (the latter may have been an older terminology used from what I was told, but generally, most people agree the two terms are used interchangably)

Unless someone can confirm that I am wrong or have a better explaination of the terminology, I'll be sticking with this. smiley

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Genesisclimber
Level 3

No replies frown

Anyway, after looking and asking around from various people, this is what I've concluded:-

1. Volume = Media i.e. tape media
2. Volume pool - Media pool (the latter may have been an older terminology used from what I was told, but generally, most people agree the two terms are used interchangably)

Unless someone can confirm that I am wrong or have a better explaination of the terminology, I'll be sticking with this. smiley

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
The "no replies" was because you omitted to select the product when you initially created the post - the forum then tried to put the post in General Symantec/Backup & Archiving & it failed miserably. The onlt reason I saw it was because it appeared in the Connect Feed on the RHS of the forum I was looking at.

I have now editted your post so it is visible in the NetBackup forum within Backup & Archiving - hope this is ok?

PS: I believe you conclusions are correct! smiley

***EDIT***
This is the bit you missed (would've thought you would've been prevented from continuing until complete, but....)

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I was wondering how we all missed it ...  blush 
The joys of being a TA!! You're doing well Andy! yes

Genesisclimber
Level 3

Hmm I think I probably didn't know which product to put it into when I created the thread, since it was more of a terminology question.

Thanks for the assignment. I'll make sure my future threads get assigned so that it gets the much needed attention cheeky

Edit: Flagged my reply above as a solution.

GPKumar
Level 1

As per my understanding.

volume Pool is related to tapes (cateridges) only.

where as Media Pool consists both tape and disk.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
PLEASE do not tag onto 7-year-old posts... this query was answered. Solved.
Back then there were no disk pools.