cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to use Storage Lifecycle Policies?

infrastructure
Level 2

I want to be able to backup data to disk on a weekly basis then 1x a month to duplicate a weekly backup to tape so I have a monthly tape backup.

I can't seem to figure out how to do that with Storage Lifecycle Policies. Maybe that isn't the right thing to use? Or can I not do that without creating multiple policies with different schedules?

Thanks,

Katie

4 REPLIES 4

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

SLP is created to do that sort of jobs. You do not need multiple policies (unless we have different OS types like Windows/UNIX), but different schedules is required. Pls note. A SLP require a advanced storage unit and can't use the basic disk storage unit. It will cost you a additional license.

I recommend the Best Practice manual and found to provide much valuable information.

Best practices for using Storage Lifecycle Policies and Auto Image Replication in NetBackup 7.1

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH153154

I think this document answers you're qustion, it's for 6.5 and rather old but the infromation still apply. It takes you thru all the step's for creating SLP's.

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/white_papers/ent-whitepaper_veritas_netBackup_6.5_slp_n...

watsons
Level 6

What do you mean by the "1x a month"?

If you want your disk backup to duplicate to tape after a month, then you need to setup something else like disk staging or vault. 

By using SLP, you don't have a choice to "schedule" when you want the duplication to happen. It will try to start as soon as it can. You maybe able to delay the SLP duplication by setting a config file, but if you're thinking about a month later, SLP is not for this.

SLP is designed with the principal to get a backup duplicated ASAP to avoid data loss. That's why you see the "Data Classification" of Platinum, Gold, Silver & Bronze. It is to classify your data type and how important they are to be duplicated. Don't just simply put all data into SLP without understanding your need, because it's harder to manage than disk staging & vault. Better approach is to classify your data and deploy them batch by batch.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Mainly u use slps when u want to duplicate your backups

Will_Restore
Level 6

Happy New Year.  Did these comments help?