cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

backup without barcode in netbackup 6.5

Kevin_Xau
Level 3

Hi all,

As follow my previous post in this URL: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/tape-label-not-match-when-inventory-netbackup-65

I have 24 tapes and one HP MSL2024 Tape Library. The Netbackup software is running on windows server 2003. The backup schedule is running on Monday, Wedsday, Friday 11:30 PM, before this backup running, the physical inventory will be running through the script at 11:00 PM.

- On first week, there will use 12 tapes to backup as label : 111MON, 112MON, 113MON, 114MON, 131WED, 132WED, 133WED, 134WED, 151FRI, 152FRI, 153FRI, 154FRI.

- On second week, there will use 12 tapes to backup as label : 211MON, 212MON, 213MON, 214MON, 231WED, 232WED, 233WED, 234WED, 251FRI, 252FRI, 253FRI, 254FRI.

The question I want to ask is there are any configuration can make the tapes automatically assign to the slot without barcode, it mean when I replace the tapes from first week to second week, when the tape library do the physical inventory with "vmphyinv" command, the tapes media ID can be assign to the correspond slot without barcode, because some tapes have barcode, some tapes don't have, so I want to configure all tapes without barcode to to the backup. For example:

The first week:  - 111MON - slot 1                                 

- 112MON - slot 2

- 113MON - slot 3

- 114MON - slot 4 

- 131WED - slot 5

What I need to configure on Netbackup 6.5 so that when I replace tape on second week, the tapes media ID can be assign on the correspond slot  without barcode?

- 211MON - slot 1

- 212MON - slot 2

- 213MON - slot 3

- 214MON - slot 4

- 231WED - slot 5

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If that is what you want, you will have to do it manually - physically put each tape in the slot you want, then right-click on media id, select move in order to update NBU. You will need to select the robot and slot #.

Why not simply put tapes in any slot and perform physical inventory?

Why not purchase barcodes when you have a robot with barcode reader?

Non-barcoded tapes create so much work that it is really not worth the little bit of money that you save...

There is also no need for Mon Tue Wed tapes when you implement an automated system (expensive, intelligent backup product that does media management very well plus expensive robot with barcode reader). NBU knows where it writes backups and will load appropriate tape for restore. If tape is not in robot, it will prompt you for media-id that needs to be loaded in robot.

NBU works just as well when you have a bunch of tapes with barcode labels in a range, e.g. 000001 - 001000. 

At some point in time your estimation of the amount of MON tapes you need is going to be different from actual usage and you will experience status 96 errors...

PS: If your question in your other discussion was answered, please select the post that has helped you most and Mark As Solution.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Twinkle_Sapra
Level 5
Certified

You can manually assign the media using vmadd command.

install_path\Volmgr\bin\vmadd -m media_id -mt media_type [-h EMM_server |

volume_database_host] [-verbose] [-b barcode] [-rt robot_type] [-rn

robot_number] [-rh robot_host] [-rc1 rob_slot] [-rc2 rob_side] [-p

pool_number] [-mm max_mounts | -n cleanings] [-op optical_partner] [-d

"media_description"]

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If that is what you want, you will have to do it manually - physically put each tape in the slot you want, then right-click on media id, select move in order to update NBU. You will need to select the robot and slot #.

Why not simply put tapes in any slot and perform physical inventory?

Why not purchase barcodes when you have a robot with barcode reader?

Non-barcoded tapes create so much work that it is really not worth the little bit of money that you save...

There is also no need for Mon Tue Wed tapes when you implement an automated system (expensive, intelligent backup product that does media management very well plus expensive robot with barcode reader). NBU knows where it writes backups and will load appropriate tape for restore. If tape is not in robot, it will prompt you for media-id that needs to be loaded in robot.

NBU works just as well when you have a bunch of tapes with barcode labels in a range, e.g. 000001 - 001000. 

At some point in time your estimation of the amount of MON tapes you need is going to be different from actual usage and you will experience status 96 errors...

PS: If your question in your other discussion was answered, please select the post that has helped you most and Mark As Solution.