cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

media does not exist(35)

rocker65
Level 4

I've had some bar code grief which I have resolved. Now I have 3 tapes defined in the media db that don't really exist. If I try and delete/expire/move I get the perverbial error message "Volume xyz does not exist in the database, media does not exist(35)".

I have tried a combination of vmdelete and bpexpdate commands to try and remove the tape from the db. No luck. Quick and dirty fix would be?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rocker65
Level 4

THey were in the NetBackup Administrators Console, where you list the media showing the volume by media ID's, barcodes, media type, robot #, etc....

Maybe it's just a bug in the console? as I closed and reopened the console this morning as a test, and those ghost volumes (for lack of a better term)  disappeared. I didn't think that sort of manuvering was necessary, as in the listing was pretty dynamic.

Anyhow, they disappeared from the volume manager, so this is good.

Thank you all for your help.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I hope we're talking post-6.x NBU version?

Please post output of the following:

nbemmcmd -listmedia -mediaid <media-id>

If pre-6.x:

bpmedialist -m <media-id>
and
vmquery -m <media-id>

rocker65
Level 4

Apologies. NB 7.0,  Master and media server are Windows 2003 based.

nbemmcmd command I have tried already and it gives me the exact same message.

Volume does not exist in the database (35)

Command did not complete successfully.

Marianne
Level 6

I have obviously never encountered anything similar...

Where do you still see the media-id's?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Have you tried to use the -h switch using bpexpdate ??.

E.g:

bpexpdate -d 0 -mediaid ABC123 -h {media_server_who_wrote_the_media}

rocker65
Level 4

THey were in the NetBackup Administrators Console, where you list the media showing the volume by media ID's, barcodes, media type, robot #, etc....

Maybe it's just a bug in the console? as I closed and reopened the console this morning as a test, and those ghost volumes (for lack of a better term)  disappeared. I didn't think that sort of manuvering was necessary, as in the listing was pretty dynamic.

Anyhow, they disappeared from the volume manager, so this is good.

Thank you all for your help.

Marianne
Level 6

I have seen over the years that GUI's are S-L-O-W to be updated with changes.

I have learned to rely more on cmd than on the GUI's. If I want sonething done quickly, I do it on cmd...

rocker65
Level 4

I would kill to have this installation on a good old Sun SPARC system of some kind. Don't really care. But something with a real shell, good old xbpadm etc....  But alas, I have no choice.