Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

media with fewer mounts

shashi0621
Level 5

Hi Marrianne,

I was reading this technote.

NBU 7.5

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-netbackup-chooses-media-complete-list

What was the final conclusion for this

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

It needs to be the same retention (if the tape is already in the pool), it also needs to be the same 'type' as the storage unit (defined in the policy), the tape cannot be suspended or frozen or have reached it's maximum mounts.

I believe netbackup tries to use tapes that have the lowest mounts.

In scratch it will use tapes based on 'type' so if storage unit is set as hcart2, it will take hcart2 tape.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

It's liste in that thread. Is the tape full, is it mixed retention, has maximum mounts been reached, is the tape frozen or suspended? All these need to be checked before netbackup decides to pick another tape from scratch

shashi0621
Level 5

So in short,

What all it searches in order to decide which tape to be used from scratch or other pools?

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Yep.

shashi0621
Level 5

So in short,

What all it searches in order to decide which tape to be used from scratch or other pools?

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

It needs to be the same retention (if the tape is already in the pool), it also needs to be the same 'type' as the storage unit (defined in the policy), the tape cannot be suspended or frozen or have reached it's maximum mounts.

I believe netbackup tries to use tapes that have the lowest mounts.

In scratch it will use tapes based on 'type' so if storage unit is set as hcart2, it will take hcart2 tape.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

You can also mix retentions but you have to set it first. It's turned off by default

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The answer was really in the TNs that were mentioned in the unresolved post!