cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup remote admin console, inventory robot screen do not show up

FrankDe
Level 4

Dear community. i cannot find anywhere if this has been seen already, but i am having a problem with my remote admin console.

when i try to inventory robot from my console, the windows never come on. i tried with the java gui it works fine.

it used to work in the past. so for me now, my only solution is to open a remote desktop to the master server or any of the media servers.

anyone has a clue why ? someone could tell me if there is some trace i can put on my workstation to see what is going on ?

i tried to uninstall and reinstall, does not fix the problem.

any help would be appreciated!

best regards.

-FD

36 REPLIES 36

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I also have Windows Admin Console installed on my laptop (7.5.0.4) - no EMM server entry in registry.

I am still thinking that there is a possible timeout to one of the robot control hosts (assuming the DD VTLs all have robots configured on various media servers).

When you have time - please test the vmcheckxxx command with each of the robots.

FrankDe
Level 4

will do... !

FrankDe
Level 4

after testing, everyrhing worked like a charm.

FrankDe
Level 4

i will remove and re-install from scratch. but still, after removed the apps. there is still services and files + reg keys created. i will manualy delete everything.

after, i will reinstall again from scratch and test the inventory robot.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I have seen similar issues when it was actually the users profile that caused the issue

When you are back up and running if you still have the same issue try logging on as someone elese on your laptop to see if it then works

If it does then delete your local profile from yoru PC (back things up if it is not roaming!!) then login again to re-create it and try again

FrankDe
Level 4

ok i will try as a different user.

in the meantime, i uninstalled all netbackup product. but surprinsingly, services are still running, and files are still existing. so now im stuck, i can not reinstall or uninstall from the DVD. so i have to clean remove everything from the registry. for a weird reaosn, NB DVD thinks it is still installed. but there is no more file. the repair function fails, the install fails!

ill try to fix this, then use another user.

best regards. -FD

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

mmmm - sure you really have full local admin rights on that PC?

Try a repair when logged in as another user / domain admin

You can right click on the Symantec NetBackup.msi on the DVD and select Repair to try and force it that way

FrankDe
Level 4

my profile account, used for every tasks, is not local admin. i use another account, domain, which is local admin. when i start install program or when i want to run program as admin, i use my administrator account.

for instance, my outlook, and other regular apps, i have to use my fdesfosses account, and i have an account on the domain controler which is called admfdesfosses, that has local admin rights.

ill continue to try to fix this stuff!

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Sometimes when you go to control panel and select to uninstall NBU it just removes the patch (say 7.5.0.5) and rolls you back to 7.5GA - but doesn't leave it in control panel

Try running the repair using the original 7.5 media first and then re-apply the appropriate patch

FrankDe
Level 4

in the control pannel there is no more NB products. yes indeed, yesterday, it went from 7.5.0.5 to 7.5.0.4 to 7.5 ... removed them all from the CP.

tried to repair from the DVD. do nt works either. im still playing arround!

ill fix my install problem then come back with the inventory robot!

thanks you all so far! be back later

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

To cleanup after failed uninstall of NBU, delete all of these registry keys:

<HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>\Software\Veritas\Netbackup.  

If there are any services that are hanging around, you can clear these out from the registry as well.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\

The services that would need to be gone if they exist are as follows:

All NetBackup named services

VRTSpbx

Hope this helps!

FrankDe
Level 4

all right, managed to make unsinstall and reinstall ok., basicly, i did a rollback (system restore) to past week, then uninstalled again the NB softs. that time, it uninstalled ok! so re-installed 7.5 then 7.5.0.5 perfectly, but still back to

cannot inventory robot on this single computer.
oh well... condemed to use the java gui just for inventory robot! aparently...

someone have an idea !?

i have also did ad suggested, tried the vmcheckxxx for all robot we have, all commands worked perfectly.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

So is your PC listed as an additional server for the Master and the Robotic control host?

Have you tried logging onto your PC as another user and running it?

FrankDe
Level 4

my PC is listed as "aditional server" under the master NB propertiess;
my PC is not listed as a robot controler
no i hav not yet tried another user as logged on. ill try that now!

FrankDe
Level 4

tried to log on as a local administrator of the laptop, and still cannot open the inventory robot.

i deleted the local admin profile and let the computer rebuilt it from scratch, same results.

i can see, that when i try to inventory robot, i see the child windows opening up and closing pretty fast by itself. i do not see the window being draw, but i see the icon on the task bar quickly created and closing. fast enough that i cannot read or see the content of the icon.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Can I suggest looking in the logs. I would start with the following: ...veritas\netbackup\logs\nbconsole wingui unified log -o 263 Recommend turning the verbose up to verbose 5/ general 2 fr nbconsole and DebugLevel 6 for wingui Regards, Martin

FrankDe
Level 4

ok sounds good to me, but that might sounds weird, i know where to look for server logs and clients log... but what about remote console !? where i can change the loggin of my own laptop as remote admin console !?

probably editing nblog.conf ? or do i have inside remoet console a logging option ?