Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

san clients licensing

Ashz_Tomz
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Helo dear friends

I have some doubts regardsing a san client licensing ... we have   base version installed which is presently backing up 20 clients(standard client ) in LAn .. we would liek to move all 20 clients from Lan to san based enviornment due to bandwidth issues .. we have only one master/media server,,,

which are the new additional components needed for implementing this change ?do i purchase enterprise 

server license ...? what else are the other components needed 

kinldy could you assist me for this please 

regards

adad 

6 REPLIES 6

Vicente_Fukuda
Level 4

Hi

1. NBU Enterprise Server License

2. NBU Enterprise Client License

3.a If you want SAN Media Server : SSO license per drive and FC zones.

3.b If you want SAN Client : a QLogic HBA (not connected to the library) for the Master and FC zones to transport SAN data from SAN clients to your Master.

I hope this can help

Regards

Vicente

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6

You definitely need license for Enterprise Client and Enterprise server. Since you have aonly one master which is serving as media server as well you do not need license for SSO. You need Qlogic HBAs on master/media server.

Fibre Transport Media Servers are supported on Solaris 9 and 10 on SPARC hardware, RedHat Enterprise Linux 4.0 on x86_64 hardware, and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 on x86_64 hardware. In both cases, the 64 bit operating systems and server components must be installed.
The Fibre Transport Server requires at least one QLogic 2340, 2342, 2344, 2460, 2462, or 2472 Fibre Channel Host Bus Adapter. This adapter is required for the special Target Mode drivers used for the SAN transport of data between the Client and Server. Adapters used as Target Mode Fibre Transports can not be used for Tape or Disk connectivity. Other Host Bus Adapters (Initiator Mode) must be used to provide external Disk and/or Tape on the Server. The Initiator mode devices do not need to be QLogic Adapters, see the NetBackup Hardware Compatibility List for more details on supported Initiator Mode devices.
Finally it is suggested, for optimum performance, that all servers used for Fibre Transports have PCI-X or PCI-Express slots available for the Fibre Transport Target Mode adapters. See the performance considerations section for more details.

The SAN Client option is supported on most of the Tier 1 clients. Solaris, HP-UX, Linux, Windows, and Aix are all supported as SAN Clients with the exception of Windows on the Itanium platform. In all cases, please refer to the NetBackup Hardware Compatibility List to verify Fibre Channel HBA compatibility for any particular platform.

Ashz_Tomz
Level 5

thanks so much guys..

yes we have only onemaster/ media sever ., and i verified hba card is qlogic..

so is this all the license taht is needed for this ?

1 enterprise server license ?

2 enterprise client license for all the clients

do i need to purchase a San client agent also for tier 1 clients ? 

we have few tier2 clients also i.  what i should do for backing these clients ?.. 

kindly could you assist me,... 

Ashz_Tomz
Level 5

vicnente .,.we dont need SSO as this is only a one master / media server architecture

do we need san MEDia sever license and san client license ?

or is it enough i purchase just the enterprise sever and client?

kinldy could you guide me

regards

adad 

Ashz_Tomz
Level 5
Helo friends

I am bit confused in the SAn part , WE ARE Converting a few of our lan clients to san based backups. But i read all the documents on san cleint and sanmedia server and its growing more n more confusing

As per my  knowlege san client will only work if its a tier 1 platform and it will need a 64 bit media server solaris or linux and can only backup to disk

We dont have any unix hardware or OS here and we would go for San media server
How is this deployed ? IS there a new implmentation procedure for this

Kindly suggest

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
First we have to get it stright what you want.

SAN Client - that is the FT part where you move the data via the SAN but still use the same media server you have now.

SAN Meidia server - this is a server that acts like a Media server but ONLY can backup itself - it cannot be a media server for anybody else.
So if you have 5 servers that you want to do their own backups - then you need 5 SAN Media server licenses.  If you want them to share the tape drives that your current media server is using then you need SSO license for all your tape drives.