cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

standalone drives tab in netbackup console

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

Why we have standalone drives tab in netbackup console?

I mean whats the main use of this tab?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Amaan
Level 6

MAP is physical location which you can see and touch adn standalone is logical location. you can just understand it and not able to touch.

when you run inventory robot moves it physically from MAP to slot and NetBackup moves it logically from standalone to library.

About your concern as:

When i run inventory,it says"moving media XYZ from standalone to slot 12"

This happens only when you load previously used tapes. if you load new tape which has never been loaded into netbackup, It will say: "Adding new tape to NB database" something like this.not

"moving media XYZ from standalone to slot 12"

Thanks!

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Can you post up a screen shot ?

Thanks,

Martin

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

To show the tape drives which are not controlled by a robot.

EDIT: Under media Standalone will display the media present in standalone drives.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Standalone drives are simply tape drives that are not in a robotic tape library

Just a single tape drive in its own caddy that require you to put the tapes in by hand:

Like this one:

http://www.dabs.com/products/hp-ultrium-1760-sas-ext-tape-driv-562G.html?utm_source=google&utm_mediu...

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

whats the use of this then if we  have a robotic library?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

LIke all other features in NetBackup the console provides the interface for all options

If you only have robotic devices then you will never use that section - but many people do use StandAlone drives so it has to be in the console - same as BMR, Storage Unit Groups and lots of other sections - they are all there should you wish to use them but you dont have to and not all sections will apply to your setup

Hope this clarifies it - NetBackup will not remove parts of its interface just because you dont happen to have the thing that it relates to

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

But when i go to that tab,i can see media in that.We have TLD0 and TLD 1 also.

Why there is media in that tab?(standalone)

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Ahhh!

Sorry!!

That section relates to your Media rather than your robots

You see you robots and in that view you can see the tapes within them

The Standalone section relates to all tapes that NetBackup knows about which are not in the tape library

You may have noticed when you remove tapes from the library that the inventory says something to the effect of "moved from slot to to Standalone Residence"

So apoligies for the earlier confusion - Standalone at that point refers to your tape and show just the ones that are not currently in your tape library

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Those are the tapes that you have removed from the robot.

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

Hi Marianne

So those are the tapes which have been ejected from the robot and are offsited?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

As per my earlier post - they are all tapes known to NetBackup but not actually in the robots

Hope this clarifies things

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

So,

Whats the diference between MAP and standalone?

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

Onsite guy put the tapes in MAP.

So why its says like moving from standalone to slot.

It should be moving from MAP to slot.

I hope you getting me.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

NetBackup does not know it is in the MAP

As far as NetBackup is concerned it is either in the library or it is not - so either in a Slot or Standalone

Hope this makes sense

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

So MAP for netbackup is standalone?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If it is not in a slot as part of the inventory then NetBackup considers it as stand alone, even if it is actually in the MAP

The same applied when you eject media - you actually move them from a slot to the MAP but as you see NetBackup says that they have been moved to Standalone residence (i.e. no longer in a slot)

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

Thanks Mark..

Hi Marianne,

Your thought on this?

Amaan
Level 6

MAP is physical location which you can see and touch adn standalone is logical location. you can just understand it and not able to touch.

when you run inventory robot moves it physically from MAP to slot and NetBackup moves it logically from standalone to library.

About your concern as:

This happens only when you load previously used tapes. if you load new tape which has never been loaded into netbackup, It will say: "Adding new tape to NB database" something like this.not

"moving media XYZ from standalone to slot 12"

Thanks!

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Excellent explanation, Amaan!

PUNEET, when you have a spare moment, read through chapters 8 and 9 of NBU Admin Guide for UNIX and Linux, Volume I  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3650 to better understand the LOGICAL status of media in NBU.

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

Hi,

Thanks all.

How to see in the backup environment that what server is in cluster with the master server?