cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when we configure the SAN Client?

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

I know that when storage is coming from SAN on a client A,then we make client A as SAN media server with SAN media license on it.

What in case of SAN client?What we do in this?We make client A as SAN client?

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

San Media Server needs Enterprise Client and needs Media Server software installed. You have all the Media Server processes running on this machine (bptm and bpbrm) which needs additional memory and CPU resources.

The alternative is to configure SAN Client IF you have a Media Server that can be configured as FT Media Server. This FT Media server can then backup SAN Clients directly via the SAN.

See this TN for detailed explanation:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH135896

Also see the 'Related Articles' for addtional info and configuration.

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

SAN Client

Offloads backup traffic from the LAN and allows for fast backups over the SAN at approximately 150 MB/sec. The SAN client can send data to a variety of NetBackup disk options and allows you to back up and restore to disk over the SAN. Data is sent to media servers via SCSI commands over the SAN rather than TCP/IP over the LAN to optimize performance.

This SAN client will be the windows client A ?In my starting post we make client A as SAN media server.

What in this case?

Scenario:

1. Windows server A

2.media server B

Now i have to backup my windows server A which is comming through SAN.

What would be the SAN cient here?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

YOU have to choose ONE of the following:

1. Install and configure Windows Server A as SAN media server to backup itself directly to SAN attached taped drives or disk storage

2. Configure one of your media servers as FT Media server (check HCL for supported media servers and supported Qlogic HBAs) and then add Windows Server A as SAN Client.

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

so for 2 nd option,We have to make that Windows client A as SAN client?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes, you would make client A the SAN client.

To be honest, from a technical view point it is much more simple to make client A into a SAN media server, that is a media server that is only allowed to backup itself.

A SAN client is much more complex, as one media server has to be setup as a FT media server, and this requires that the media server has a HBA that is compatible, and only certain HBAs are (covered in the compatability guides as pointed out by Marianne).

M

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you actually executing any of these hypothetical situations?