cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fencing

ousor
Level 4
hi, in a vcs cluster with fencing device,every node will write its register key on fencing device?What is member ship register key?If hearbeat paths fails,then vxfen driver will panic the node,if this node lost the race to acquire the fencing devices?tnx a million.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hello,

First thing, Can I request elaborate the subject of forum thread ? for e.g, here you have kept thread name as "fencing" however you can mark it like "questions on registration keys in IOFencing". These forums are bit knowledge database & will be reused by others. If someone else is having similar question, he can simply read through existing thread rather than raising a new question again ... Also would appreciate if you can keep one quesiton per forum thread, will add much more clarity & simplicity for people looking for similar answers ..

To answer your query..

Every node will write registration keys on coodinator disks. You can check this with below command

# vxfenadm -s all -f /etc/vxfentab

membership register key .. I believe this is nothing but the registration keys. Registration keys are kept on coordinator disks & on data disks however there is another key called reservation keys which are kept only on data disks.

Last part, if the heartbeat fails, there will be race to win coordinator disks, the node which loses the race is paniced by vxfen driver

All this is very well documented & explained in admin guides, if you are new to VCS, do run through VCS guides, for IOFencing specific, read through below

https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sfha/6.1/solaris/productguides/html/vcs_admin/ch10.htm

G

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hello,

First thing, Can I request elaborate the subject of forum thread ? for e.g, here you have kept thread name as "fencing" however you can mark it like "questions on registration keys in IOFencing". These forums are bit knowledge database & will be reused by others. If someone else is having similar question, he can simply read through existing thread rather than raising a new question again ... Also would appreciate if you can keep one quesiton per forum thread, will add much more clarity & simplicity for people looking for similar answers ..

To answer your query..

Every node will write registration keys on coodinator disks. You can check this with below command

# vxfenadm -s all -f /etc/vxfentab

membership register key .. I believe this is nothing but the registration keys. Registration keys are kept on coordinator disks & on data disks however there is another key called reservation keys which are kept only on data disks.

Last part, if the heartbeat fails, there will be race to win coordinator disks, the node which loses the race is paniced by vxfen driver

All this is very well documented & explained in admin guides, if you are new to VCS, do run through VCS guides, for IOFencing specific, read through below

https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sfha/6.1/solaris/productguides/html/vcs_admin/ch10.htm

G

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No disrespect here, but in your previous posts I have pointed you to the VCS Admin Guide that explains in detail how cluster membership works with fencing in place.

Have you tried to read through this section?

Gaurav has also refenced the online version of the manual in this and other posts. 
In this online version, you may also want to go through the topics listed under 'Prev' and 'next'.

I am confident that your questions about fencing and membership keys will all be answered...

PS:

All of your last 4 posts are actually cluster related and should therefore be moved to Cluster Server forum.
Do you agree?

tanislavm
Level 6

I dont see "mark as solution".could you help?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You started this discussion with your new user id - ousor.

You need to log in as that user in order to see 'Mark as solution' link.