cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery of Domain Controller to new hardware corrupts AD

Svend_Petersen
Level 3
On two occasions now we have attempted to use the BESR 8.5 option to recover to different hardware for a Small Business Server. One was SBS2003 and the other SBS2008. On both occasions when the server was restarted after the restore we were prompted to login as ".\Administrator"

When we tried to specify a domain and the correct admin ID and password it failed to find the domain.

In the case of the SBS2003 we were actually restoring to the original hardware so we redid the restore without the restore anyware option (or whatever it is called). This worked fine.
In the case of the SBS2008, it was only a test run. We gave up and tested another vendors solution which worked ok.

I have not been able to find any furthur information on this. Given that it happened to us twice it sounds like a bug to me. Both SBS servers were the lone DC in the Active Directory and there was never going to be another DC to authenticate against.

Anyone else?

Svend Petersen
Excelan.
3 REPLIES 3

AJT
Level 6
Can you tell me when you tired to logon? In SBS2008 with Invoke Setup checked, you must logon as local admin to complete the Windows Setup phase. Please explain more?

Svend_Petersen
Level 3
When did I try to logon? After the restore had completed and the server was restarted. Is that what you meant to ask?

When you say I must logon as local admin to complete the Windows Setup phase i need to use local admin, what local admin? This is a Domain controller (SBS), there is no local admin account or local accounts whatsoever. I don't follow.

After restoring to the target server it prompts me to login as '.\Administrator'  but we have never used a local admin account.

What do you mean by completing the Windows Setup phase? Do you mean when BESR is being installed on the source server, or after the restore is performed on the destination server?

DanOak
Not applicable
Restoring SBS 2008 from Image,  causes ./SuperUser to be the default attempted log in.  (SuperUser is what we have renamed the Administrator account to on the domain.)  But the passwords on the domain do not work.

It makes the back up provision not really much use.  Trying to work out what can be done.