cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR 2011 launch backup from command line

TeleFragger
Level 5

Ok so we want to hide the tray icon for SSR 2011 as we manage it all via Altiris 7.1.
When you setup a machine for backups it will not start automatically and our guys at the sites want an immediate backup.

So anyone know how i can get a backup to launch via command line? I tried searching but just came up with ways to install via command line.

10 REPLIES 10

criley
Employee Accredited

It won't start automatically? I assume you are using backup policies via the SSR Management Solution?

If yes, backup should run automatically as per the schedule in the policy.

TeleFragger
Level 5

yes using management solution for SSR tied into Altiris CMS 7.1.

Ok so no way to launch backups or force the policy to run...

that is interesting because once you get a machine ready, it will show that it is at risk on the client machine. Right click icon and you can launch a backup at that point. So was hoping to figure a way to make it happen then. 

criley
Employee Accredited

You mention that you want to hide the system tray icon. Do you still have the full SSR client installed?

If yes, you can do this by opening the GUI and running the job.

Do you want to do this from the client side or from the management server side?

TeleFragger
Level 5

no we did not install the gui for use. we did the no console option.

so we do have one site we are showing the icon. and from there they can right cilck and launch a backup.
We want to do this from the client side. we deal with vendors coming in and updating systems so we have no standard image and very few of the same configurations. we want the ability for them to launch a backup prior to the vendor doing anything so they have a solid backup first. 

so we would like the tech to open the altiris agent and see SSR Backup listed as a manual run for them.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Hm, you could try creating a vbs script that triggers the job !

criley
Employee Accredited

You can do this even with the no console option but you need to enable the tray icon. Without the tray icon, I don't know of a way to do this without some form of scripting as Markus mentions above.

TeleFragger
Level 5

@Marcus - that is what i want to do but i cant find any command line anywhere that i would run...
Do you have any ideas on what to put in the vbs?

@Chris - That is my delema. I know that i need the tray icon.. so need to evaluate this.

Our issue is that we were not ready to deploy SSR as we are finishing our migration to NS7. But we just lost a machine that would have been great to have a backup. We just went from NS6 with recovery solution to SSR. Personally SSR is light years..... .BEHIND RS!!!!! with RS we could backup 3800 machines with dedupe, folder and file exclusions and the ability for backups to go into .dat files. instead SSR is machine specific so now this is hurting us so we have to pick and choose what machines to backup. Now I have some and need to figure the best approaches which I need the ability for an immediate backup after install. Currently the machine is saying it is At Risk and scheduled backup for 4/1/13...

oh well.. hopefully Marcus can shed some light on what the command line would be.

Thanks Guys!

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Well its not directly command line but have a look here to get an idea of what I mean: 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/downloads/vbs-files-configuring-besr-8x7x-license-smtp-options-and-creating-backup-jobs

The full documentation should be available in the automation folder on the product CD, so based on this you should be able to adapt my scripts according to your needs. 

TeleFragger
Level 5

thank you i will check it out.. 

when i said command line,.. really dont care how it is done as long as it can be invoked from the Altiris Console Menu wink

criley
Employee Accredited

when i said command line,.. really dont care how it is done as long as it can be invoked from the Altiris Console Menu

By 'Altiris Console Menu' - are you referring to the system tray icon for the Altiris Agent?

Is there any reason why you cannot have the SSR system tray icon? As I mentioned before, this is the solution here..