cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR 2013 Trial - VSS_E_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE error

KenIsaacson
Level 4

Just downloaded SSR 2013 trial. (I was a Ghost 15 user, but upgraded to Windows 8 so can no longer use Ghost.)

On my first attempt to do a backup of my drive, I got a VSS_E_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE error. A bit of online research made me think I had to go to System Properties|System Protection and increase the amount of disk space available for system protection, which I did. I increased it from about 9GB to about 100GB.

That did not help.

FWIW, my hard drive is about 923GB, with about 760GB free.

Any guidance?

Many thanks.

Ken

90 REPLIES 90

KenIsaacson
Level 4

Having started this ball rolling, as the OP, I'm gonna sit the rest of this out and watch for a solution. I put too much time in already!

Thanks to you all for picking up.

criley
Employee Accredited

A quick update for everyone...

Our engineering team are now investigating this issue (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH206346). At this time, a root cause is not known.

Once we have some updates, myself or other Symantec employees will update this thread with more details.

GSevison
Level 2

After removing WINRETOOLS (*:\)

The same error code comes up for ESP(*:)) and for PBR Image (*:\)

So the steps to not include WINRETOOLS is incomplete, and instructions to save it via Windows 8 Backup does not solve the issue in a complete manner.

I am of course worried since I am not a Super Tech (to say the least) that recovery will fail without either more complete instructions, or a Symantec reprogramming of SR2013.

Backups and image files without a definitive and complete instruction of how to recover the full disc image are largely, well worthless/unworkable/unlikely to succeed.

Respectfully,

Georgia

piker21
Level 3

the cause is intergration of code, between the ssr2013 engine and windows volume shadow copy, with all the involved elements. such as MS shadow copy, dcom, and few others. I dont think, symantec is exerting any efforts at all at this time, any longer. the product represents less than 0.5% of theri product offerings, and not worth the R&D to repair. their preference is to lose those clients forever, and move on. they refused to acknowlege the refund issue, as they do have a money back policy, but no go in that regard either. those of us with dell, few hp and acer machines have been ripped off and its that simple.

I tried novabackup. beautiful platform, fast, but does not even see partitions without drive letters. thus, as worthless. then went on with storage craft. WOW. (big letters).

incredible, flawless, (EXPENSIVE), but nontheless, puts symantec to absolute shame. they apparently, ATE the ms windows 8 code before launching the product, and it was tested on all of the top 10 main brands. I tried it:

fast

sees all

not a single error.

not worried about ss2013 anymore, but still working hard on getting my money back :)

(appology to all the symantec support guys and gals, your efforts are apprecited, but produced a big zilch, nothing personal here).

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Georgia -

Can you please send me a private message and I can get a case opened on this with you. (click on my name, then click 'send a private message'). Our ultimate goal is to get an image of the problematic partition(s) in house ASAP. 

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Of those experiencing this issue, has anyone been able to successfully backup JUST the EFI System Partition (ESP) and their C volume partitions TOGETHER while still in Windows and then see if they were able to restore to a 2nd EFI based system or a newer virtual environment? If so did you have to make any modifications ot the partitions like that specified here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH205081

Thanks

-Dave

JohnTech
Level 4

I just received notice today that Symantec has just updated Tech Article TECH206346:

Backups of the Dell WINRETOOLS partition fails with VSS_E_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE

KenIsaacson
Level 4

John,

Thanks for this. Do I understand correctly that once I've backed up the WINRETOOLS partition in the manner described, I never have to do that again, with the result being that all of the other partitions can be backed up automatically without the need to back up the WINRETOOLS partition repeatedly?

Any idea why the Tech Article says "one complete backup of these volumes [the ones that caused the problem] should suffice." One such backup should suffice? Hmmm. Any idea why only one such back up should not suffice?

Many thanks.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Ken,

I had a customer look at the contents of the WinRETools partition. The files and folders were dated Feb 2013 (the date his computer was purchased), and had not changed 4 months later. (He ended up backing up these partitions to his C:\ drive. Then as SSR backed up in Windows, his C;\ drive, those were included with it.)

sharomyzhnik
Not applicable

ok guys ... the last message in this thread was 18 jun 13. does the public release of the neccessary fix was come? having the same trouble with VSS_E_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE error on win 8.1 system with ssr 2013. how could i obtain it? i read all articles but there are only "contact support" links...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH206346

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH205081

thank you...

ps. just now i backuping with no hiddent partitions job - but this is not the right way.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The fix was not for compatibility with Windows 8.1, but for the issue of imaging a particular partition on the system, such as the the hidden partition(s), etc. If you go back to Windows 8 and the issue still occurs, you can contact technical support for a hotfix that may resolve the issue. The reason it is not public yet is because the hotfix has not yet been built into a public service pack.