cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Recovery 2011 Server Edition - Restoring SBS 2008 Restore Anywhere Option

DeveloperMM
Level 2

I have a DELL Server that I have backed up with Symantec System Recovery.  I am attempting to restore it to different hardware to test the migration of a new server.

There are 4 partitions on the original server

DELL Utility - hidden partition

C:\  Operating system

D:\ Data Drive

E:\ Exchange

The last instructions I received from Symantec Support was this:

Clean the drives

Boot to the Recovery Disk and recover the DELL Utility partition first with the following options:

- Set Drive Active (OS)

- Restore Master Boot Record

- Restore Anywhere - Hidden option of DELETE existing Drivers selected

Prompt for drivers NOT SELECTED

Run Mini Setup NOT SELECTED

After restoring the Utility partition I restored the remaining drives with the following options:

Restore Original Disk Signature

Restore Anywhere - Hidden option of DELETE existing Drivers selected

Prompt for drivers NOT SELECTED

Run mini Setup NOT SELECTED

After all the remaining drivers were restored I attempted a reboot but the machine just booted to the DELL Utility Partition that had the DELL Diagnostics Screen.

I'm not sure what to do next.  Should I restore the DELL Utility Partition first, with the Restore Original Disk Signature option, then the C:\ drive with Restore MBR and Set Active, Restore Anywhere, DELETE drivers, then the other two partitions with Restore Original Disk Signature and Restore Anywhere?

3 REPLIES 3

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Please check which partition contains the system files "Dell Utility" or "C:"

In case Dell Utility does not contain any system files you can follow the below steps :

Select Dell Utility and NOT select any of the options : Set drive active , restore mbr , restore original disk signature and select RAO

Then Select  C: and select the options "Set drive active" and "Restore MBR" and RAO. 

Then Select D: and select only "restore original disk Signature" and restore E: using the same option.

Refer : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH159179 

Please mark thread as solved if you consider this to have answered your question(s)

DeveloperMM
Level 2

The C:\ drive definitely contains the operating system files.   I will try what you have suggested.  Just to confirm, I should use the Restore Anywhere Option on the DELL Utility Drive?  Also, should I make any changes to the hidden Restore Anywhere Options?  1. Delete Drivers 2. Prompt for Drivers 3. Run Windows Mini Setup.?

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes use the Restore Anywgere Option for Dell Utility ,C: and other Data Drivers ( It is always used if it is a different hardware )

Changes to Hidden Restore Anywhere , since this is a SBS 2008  uncheck the option "Run mini setup" for C: and all Data Drives , you can also uncheck the same for Dell Utility.( Run mini setup works in a reverse manner for SBS )

Unlike Windows Welcome which can take up to 60 minutes or more to set up Windows, Mini- setup takes about six minutes. Specific information, including accepting the End - User License Agreement, entering the Product Key, user name, and company name are automatically applied by Mini - Setup which uses the answer file.

1. Delete Drivers 2. Prompt for Drivers are to be unchecked.