cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is VProConsole looking for drive d:

MikeInPoulsbo
Level 4

SSR 2013 trial.  When I open the program I get an error "VProConsole - No Disk, There is no disk in the drive.  Please insert a disk into drive D:"

This is a miniMMC SD/RS, removable card drive.  It is not being backed up by SSR.  Ghost did the same thing before I uninstalled it.  I hit continue, get the error again and then all is OK.

If I insert my camera card the errors go away.  Its a lot more useful in my camera though.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MikeInPoulsbo
Level 4

Progress.  The mini card slots on my machine had mapped to drives D:, E:, F:, and G:.  The DVD drive mapped to drive H:.  Two days ago the DVD drive failed to work.  I called Dell tech support and they fixed it through direct access to my computer.  After they were done the DVD showed that it mapped to drive D: and the card slots all moved up one (E, F, G,  and H).  The error when starting the SSR 2013 console has now disappeared, it was also showing up while running the Custom Revovery DIsk tool and errors there have disappeared also.  The DVD drive does not have to have media loaded.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

MikeInPoulsbo
Level 4

I ordered SSR 2013 today. I still need answers to my questions though. https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/installed-ok-get-vss-error-e4f3000e

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Open the SSR console, go to the drives tab and delete the D: Drive. You maybe need to set the show hidden drives option to get D: visible. 

MikeInPoulsbo
Level 4
I activated my subscription today. The drives tab lists my C: drive and my backup destination drive (j:), no D: drive. The Windows 8 system (My Computer) shows the d: drive and it's not hidden. I don't see anywhere in SSR Console to "show hidden" drives.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   
I think this is under Options or so in the menu. Sorry but I dont have Access to a SSR console as i'm on easter Holiday.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Anything clear now ?

MikeInPoulsbo
Level 4

SSR was not trying to backup this drive.  It doesn't appear when I enable hidden drives. The error message occurs whenever I start the console app.  At other times occasionally.  Not when its doing a scheduled backup.

DStain
Level 5

You will see the "Show Hidden Drives" box when you start a backup, Define New or a One Time Backup.

Deric

MikeInPoulsbo
Level 4

This has nothing to do with starting or editing backups.  I've looked at hidden drives and my d: drive is not there.  This occurs when starting the console VProConsole.exe).  I think its a bug.  I got the same thing with Ghost when I first attempted to run it on this machine.  I probably never saw it on my old computer because I had a D: partition on my hard drive that was always mounted prior to starting the console.

DStain
Level 5

Ok,

silly question, does it show in disk management, is it online?

Deric

MikeInPoulsbo
Level 4
Yes it shows in Disk Management, along with the 3 other mini card slots, with a status of "No Media", as expected since they don't have cards in the slots.

JohnTech
Level 4

I'm having the same problem:  SSR 2013 with new Windows 8 pc (and card slots)

MikeInPoulsbo
Level 4

I'm not having much luck getting Symantec to respond to this.  Thanks for that info; it bolsters my opinion that this is a bug of some sort.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

I've escalated this to support for you. Please have a little patience.

criley
Employee Accredited

OK, let me look into this issue for you guys.

I should be able to test this tomorrow although I will only be able to test with Windows 7.

Question: are you only seeing this issue on Win8 machines?

JohnTech
Level 4

I am seeing this problem only on a new (1 week old) Dell XPS 8500 Windows 8 pc.  I have installed SSR 2013 on a Windows 7 pc without any problems.

The Win8 pc never had Norton Ghost installed.  The Win7 pc had Ghost 15 installed, which I uninstalled, and then installed SSR 2013 without incident.

MikeInPoulsbo
Level 4

I ran Ghost on my Windows 7 machine but that machine had a permanently mounted D: drive so if Ghost was checking I never knnew it. WHen I attempted to install Ghost on my Windows 8 machine it alaso was looking for a D: drive.

JohnTech
Level 4

See attached Disk Management screenshot.  Disk 0 is the hard drive, Disk 1 (i:) is external usb drive.  Note that Disk 2,3,4,5 are media-card-reader slots.

This is a new Dell XPS 8500 with Win8 64 preinstalled by Dell.  Also, I have never had any previous Norton Ghost or Symantec SSR image backup software installed.  The SSR 2013 Desktop Edition is no longer in trial mode (I purchased and entered the license serial number).  Am I supposed to open problem ticket with Symantec or wait for answer here on forum?

MikeInPoulsbo
Level 4

Attached is from disk manager on my machine.  For whatever reason my expansion drive is disk 5 and the card slots start at disk 1, but otherwise the setups are identical.

MikeInPoulsbo
Level 4

Progress.  The mini card slots on my machine had mapped to drives D:, E:, F:, and G:.  The DVD drive mapped to drive H:.  Two days ago the DVD drive failed to work.  I called Dell tech support and they fixed it through direct access to my computer.  After they were done the DVD showed that it mapped to drive D: and the card slots all moved up one (E, F, G,  and H).  The error when starting the SSR 2013 console has now disappeared, it was also showing up while running the Custom Revovery DIsk tool and errors there have disappeared also.  The DVD drive does not have to have media loaded.