cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

symantec AppHA problem

babak_saeidi
Level 4

Hi

my esxi version is 5.5 u2 and my vcenter version is 5.5 u1 now i have downloaded VCS 6.1 & High availability console 6.1 & application HA 6.1 i have reade all of documents but now i am so confused pleas say me ehat is the order of installing symantec product and say me please each of these product on what vm do i have to install? for example on vcenter server or ........  for example i have installed ha console on a seprate machine but when connect to vcenter on product there is no vm i have attached files

i dont know what is my problem

so thanks

babak

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Soumya_Tripathy
Level 4
Employee

Hi,

Following are answer to your queries:

1- is that necessary to install vcs if want to install APPHA ?

No. VCS & AppHA are two independent and separate product.

If you want to use AppHA, don't worry about VCS.

2- which symantec softwares do i have to install for use appha  and on which vm do i have to install that?

First of all, of course you need ESX & vCenter Server installed.

Next, you can install HA Console on a VM (or physical box). Symantec recommends HA Console to be installed on a separate box, other than vCenter Server.

Though, HA Console is kind-of optional component, still for vSphere Client UI Integration etc you need HA Console.

So, go ahead and install HA Console on a system.

Next, install AppHA on any VM / VMs.

3- how can install component on all of vms?

AppHA can be installed 2 ways. Choose anyone based on your convenience.

a) Copy the AppHA installer to the respective VMs and launch the installer (setup.exe) from within those VMs.

b) There is also an integration available in vSphere Client, from where you can launch the AppHA installation wizard.

i.e. What you see in "1.jpg" / "2.jpg".

As I mentioned earlier, in this case, you need to copy/cache the AppHA installer first inside HA Console, using the utility "CopyInstaller.bat".

Find more details at http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/applicationha-vmware-and-symantec-high-availability-solution-... or refer to AppHA documentation.

Hope that helps. 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

babak_saeidi
Level 4

please help me

i am so confused for run APPHA

Soumya_Tripathy
Level 4
Employee

Hi Babak,

First of all, which product you wish to use? Is it VCS or AppHA?

I see that you have downloaded both VCS & AppHA.

For the issue, where you can not see any product in the list, its by design (2.jpg).

You need to copy the corresponding product installer using "CopyInstaller.bat" utility.

For details, refer to: http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/applicationha-vmware-and-symantec-high-availability-solution-...

Note that, this is required to use the installer which is integrated with vSphere Client (also known as Push-Install).

Otherwise, you can always copy the installer (AppHA or VCS) in the respective VM and run the installer from within the VM to install it.

Issue "3.jpg" is probably due to imcompatibility between products.

Looks like, you have already installed HA Console on the VM. So, you can NOT install VCS on the same VM. (VCS & HA Console are not compatible in the same box). 

You can install AppHA on the VM, if you wish.

Otherwise, select a different VM to install AppHA or VCS.

Soumya_Tripathy
Level 4
Employee

And just to add,

HA Console, is an optional component, whose main role is to do the integration with vSphere Client.

i.e. The core functionality of AppHA or VCS's application protection is available even when HA Console is not there.

But, the UI integration with vSphere Client won't be available, if HA Console is not there.

babak_saeidi
Level 4

so thanks

but still i am confused now please answer these questions:

2- which symantec softwares do i have to install for use appha  and on which vm do i have to install that?

thanks

Best regards

babak

Soumya_Tripathy
Level 4
Employee

Hi,

Following are answer to your queries:

No. VCS & AppHA are two independent and separate product.

If you want to use AppHA, don't worry about VCS.

First of all, of course you need ESX & vCenter Server installed.

Next, you can install HA Console on a VM (or physical box). Symantec recommends HA Console to be installed on a separate box, other than vCenter Server.

Though, HA Console is kind-of optional component, still for vSphere Client UI Integration etc you need HA Console.

So, go ahead and install HA Console on a system.

Next, install AppHA on any VM / VMs.

AppHA can be installed 2 ways. Choose anyone based on your convenience.

a) Copy the AppHA installer to the respective VMs and launch the installer (setup.exe) from within those VMs.

b) There is also an integration available in vSphere Client, from where you can launch the AppHA installation wizard.

i.e. What you see in "1.jpg" / "2.jpg".

As I mentioned earlier, in this case, you need to copy/cache the AppHA installer first inside HA Console, using the utility "CopyInstaller.bat".

Find more details at http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/applicationha-vmware-and-symantec-high-availability-solution-... or refer to AppHA documentation.

Hope that helps. 

babak_saeidi
Level 4

so thanks

my problem has been solved but just one problem

some of my vms their os is LINUX  now in the list when i select it for install component this message appear

i have attached that ( os is redhat)

how solve this problem

babak_saeidi
Level 4

please help me

how can install appha component on linux machines?

in package wizard just show this attach

i can not find Symantec ApplicationHA 6.1 (Linux)

what do i have to do ?

Soumya_Tripathy
Level 4
Employee

Hi,

What is the RHEL version?

For having the RHEL installation option available in the vSphere Client Integrated Installer, you need to use the same procedure that you used for Windows.

i.e. use "CopyInstaller.bat" utility to copy/cache the AppHA (For Linux) installer.

For that, you need to download / procure the AppHA 6.1 (Linux) media/installer first.

AppHA (Windows) & AppHA (Linux) are released as two different DVD / downloadable.

babak_saeidi
Level 4

thanks

but i search all symantec website but could not find AppHA 6.1 (Linux) 

my redhat version is 6.2 and  6.4

can you put download link here

so thanks

Best regards

Babak

Soumya_Tripathy
Level 4
Employee

Hi Babak,

From where did you get (or downloaded) the AppHA (Windows) product installer?

If the AppHA (Linux) installer is not available from the same source, I would suggest you to contact Symantec support.

They will be able to help you.

babak_saeidi
Level 4

i have got it from here

http://www.symantec.com/application-ha/trialware

but here there is no APPHA(Linux)

how can i contact to symantec support team for get this vesrion ? please give me direct e-mail adress

so thanks

Babak

babak_saeidi
Level 4

i just could find this version for linux

VRTS_HA_Agent_Pack_3Q2014_Linux

but when i insert this command

CopyInstaller.bat C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\VRTS_HA_Agent_Pack_3Q2014_Linux

this error appear

source invalid

also used this patch C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\VRTS_HA_Agent_Pack_3Q2014_Linux\linux\rhel6_x86_64

but same message appear

how can solv the problem?

so thanks

babak

babak_saeidi
Level 4

i am so waiting for your help

i can not find linux version it is not trial on net ?

what do i have to do ?

babak_saeidi
Level 4

why don't any one answer my question ?

i want appha 6.1 for linux but this relaese is not on website?

what do i have to do ?