cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BU2012 D2D Backup FileServer with PST's

SunkistDavid
Level 2

Hello,

We are testing BUExec 2012, we currently run 2010, against other D2D backup solution providers.  One of our issues has been backing-up PST's that reside on our file servers.  Currently we have between 600-700GB of PST's.  The problem in the past has been the user opens and saves to the PST daily and the backup software will backup the entire file instead of the byte level changes to the file on a daily basis when running our differentials.   I just tested 2012 and on day 1 my test PST was 11mb in size and it was backed-up accordingly.  On the moring of day 2 I added 20MB of mail to the PST and that was the only change I made to our test datastore.  That evenings differential backup was 31MB in size which obviously represented the backup of the entire PST.

We replicate the the disk datastore to a remote location for DR purpose and we would not be able to re-replicate 6-700GB a night.

Is there a way to setup 2012 D2D to only perform byte level differential of our PST's, or for that matter any other data?

Thanks,

6 REPLIES 6

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I doubt it was with DLO in BE 2010. Now it is a seperate product named Symantec DLO 7.

SunkistDavid
Level 2

Kiran, why you indicating Desktop and laptop option for backing-up a server?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you using DeDuplication?

BE Without DeDuplication (and not using DLO either) is a file level product as such a change to the file = backup the whole file.

Deduplication however compares blocks of data within the file to see if we already have that block protected

Note: DLO does delta backups within the PST itself (at mail message level) -  so would achieve a similar thing but is a desktop product designed to manage PST files located on the local hard disk of the desktop (and you have mentioned storing them on the file server.)

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

First, i misunderstood your query as "i was able to do byte-level incrementals with 2010 but not with 2012. Why?"

My mistake.

Anyways my answer about DLO (colin weaver explained it well) stll stands, but may not suite your requirement/setup.

SunkistDavid
Level 2

1) Want to do on 2012

2) Yes currently stored on file servers (actually Windows 2008 x64 Cluster 2 node clusters)

3) No we are not using disk storage capable of DeDuplication

teiva-boy
Level 6

Deduplication is an option you can enable in BackupExec 2010 or 2012.

It's licensed per BE server.  It's pretty cheap, your storage will cost much  more.