cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot select Exchange resources for backup

Hank_Eisenstein
Level 3
I am the new backup administrator for my company, and was handing a functioning backup system. I am having an issue where I cannot create a new backup job using our backup operator account that can access exchange resources (Mailboxes and Public Folders). I can modify existing jobs that use the same backup operator account. I have refenced the KB, and verified that the steps in these articles (256313, 273168, and 269946) have been taken. Only the account of the current admin can access these resources. I have verified that the backup account (but not my personal account) have the identical rights to access the server.
The error I am getting is Logon account "System Logon Account" failed to access "\\Exchange\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes." Access is denied.
11 REPLIES 11

Tommy_Rotunno
Level 2
I had this problem before. I went into Active Directory and searched for the account I was using to backup exchange, opened the properties and under Exchange advanced I unchecked the box, "hide from exchange address list" And then it worked for me.
Hope that helps,
Tommy

Hank_Eisenstein
Level 3
This is documented in KB article 273168, and is not the problem.

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
"Only the account of the current admin can access these resources. I have verified that the backup account (but not my personal account) have the identical rights to access the server."

Accessing the server and accessing the mailbox are two different things. Make sure the backup account has rights to one of the mailboxes. This is done by going to AD and selecting a user and going to their properties screen. On the Exchange Advanced tab (make sure to enable advanced view) you will see a Mailbox rights button. Click that, then you will see the permissions. Add a user, or find the user and click the advanced button and if it says Deny, change it to Allow.

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
Kindly refer the following technote links and let us know if the problem still exists.

Title:- How to configure a Microsoft Exchange 5.5 and 2000 individual mailbox backup for Backup Exec 8.x or 9.x software

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/265533.htm

And,

Title:- Preliminary Troubleshooting List for Exchange and mailbox backups

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/242606.htm

We hope this helps. Let us know if the problem still exists and revert back with the error message.

Hank_Eisenstein
Level 3
The backup account has its own mailbox. Are you saying that the backup account needs to have rights to ALL mailboxes?
The same creditial works for existing backups without problems.

Hank_Eisenstein
Level 3
We are using Exchange 2003 in Native Mode. I have checked all of the settings in the knowledge base articles you have indicated. The same credential I am trying to create a new backup job with is already used to run several other backup jobs without a problem. I can modify the existing jobs. I cannot create a new job with the same credential.

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
As long as the service account has access to a mailbox, that's all it should need. In active directory, verify the mailbox is not hidden. To check, go to AD Users and Computers, properties of the account that BE uses for a mailbox, and then go to the Exchange Advanced tab and verify the checkbox for "Hide from Exchange Address Lists" is not checked.

If this isn't the problem, verify the account can open outlook and send an email just to be sure the mailbox initialized correctly when it was created.

Hank_Eisenstein
Level 3
I did a little more troubleshooting and discovered that I needed to make the exchange backup account my default logon account for Backup Exec. This solved the problem.

Level 3
Have a newly loaded Version 9.1 on Win2k3 with Ex2k3 server. If I interpret all the responses correctly, the Backup Exchange login account should have own email account and account should not be hidden from exchange address list? Can this account be an administrator type account?
My account will run Now, but not automatically when scheduled. Job shows mounted, but never runs. Test run is good. Tapes and drive are not an issue. Not using a tape scheme. Tapes are overwriteable and erased/retentioned before use. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
The Backup Exec login account needs to have full rights to a mailbox, be it it's own or an existing user's mailbox. How you set it up is up to you. I have BE using my user account as the login account and thus it has full rights to my mailbox. Some people prefer to give BE it's own user account and mailbox.

As for your specific problem, maybe start a new thread with more details. Any errors from logs or any other items of note.

Level 3
This thread contained what I think allowed me to fix my issue. Also could not select the mailboxes. Unhiding the logon account is what allowed me to check the boxes. I'm done. Thanks much to all who read and suggested.