cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decommissioning BE 2010 R3

Andrey_LS
Level 2

Hello, I need help please.

I have purchased BE16 and set it up on my new 2012 R2 Hypervisor that is hosting 2 VMs. All buckups to USB drives

are running fine.

I have also two older servers that have BE 2010 R3 on them installed and USB drives with backup sets attached that I

want to uninstall and then install the new BE16 agents on those two servers and run all my backups from the BE16

installed on the hypervisor.

I'd like to know if it would be possible to use the backups on those USB disks created with the 2010 R3 version installed

on the older servers if I need to recover certain data files at a later time? If yes, what would be the proper steps for

decomissioning the old 2010 R3 version making sure the backups are still usable with BE 16?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Attach the old USB drives to the BE 16 Server.

2) Import the disk storage on these drives as Legacy B2D folders.

3) Inventory and catalog these legacy folders.  Note that these legacy folders are read-only.  You cannot write to them.  When you no longer need them, just delete these legacy folders.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Attach the old USB drives to the BE 16 Server.

2) Import the disk storage on these drives as Legacy B2D folders.

3) Inventory and catalog these legacy folders.  Note that these legacy folders are read-only.  You cannot write to them.  When you no longer need them, just delete these legacy folders.

Thanks pkh,

would it be OK to uninstall the BE 2010 R3 firstand deal with the old backups later?

Priority for me right now would be to get the 2016 agent installed on the 2008 R2 server and start backing it up

using the new BE 2016 installed on another server.

Also to uninstal the BE 2010 R3 would I only need to stop all BE

services first and then uninstall it from windows uninstall program tool? Would a server reboot be required at the end?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can uninstall the BE 2010 first if you want to.  Make a copy of the Data and Catalog directories first in case you need to reinstall BE 2010.

You can just uninstall. You don't have to stop the services first

Just made a copy of the data and catalogs directories, but I had to stop first all BE services and then stop the

MSSQL$BKUPEXEC service otherwise it would not allow me to copy the BE database.

Thanks